At what age should I start turning off the light all night in the brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kluk-Kluk, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Kluk-Kluk

Kluk-Kluk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    upstate New York
    My chicks are six weeks old. I keep them in the brooder (a large rabbit cage) in the garage at night and on rainy days, let them outside in a small fenced and securely netted area of the yard in the day. (We have a family of hawks in our area, and they are constantly circling above our yard.) So far I've kept the light (which is also a source of heat) on all night and whenever they are in the brooder. When should I start them on a day/night routine? Are they old enough not to get cold at night?

There are six chicks: two silkies, a bantam cochin, a speckled sussex, an Americauna, and a Wyandotte.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    Once they have feathers instead of the chick fuzz they should be able to tolerate the cold and it shouldn't bother them since it doesn't get too too cold in New York right now I'd think? hope this helps!

3. Kluk-Kluk

Apr 11, 2014
    upstate New York
    It's in the 60s at night. I want them to start getting conditioned because when I move them in with the big girls (not yet sure when I will or should do that...), they don't have lights or heat at night!

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

At 6 weeks old and in the garage at night they should be just fine with no heat lamp.

Don't put them in with the older birds until they are at or nearly at the same size, about 10 to 12 weeks old. Once they are the same size they are much better able to get away or defend themselves when attacked by an older bird. Now is a very good time to fence in an area for the next to the older birds where they can go out during the day and everybody can start getting used to each other and working on their pecking order through a fence. It makes the actual integration far easier, on the birds and you!

5. Kluk-Kluk

Apr 11, 2014
    upstate New York
    Thanks for the advice. I put the chicks' temporary fence enclosure next to the chicken pen today, and they are having "conversations."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by