At what age to chickens start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmgirl02, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Hi there!
    I was just wondering if anyone knew at what age chickens start laying?

Thanks,
    farmgirl

2. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Typically, chickens will lay around 6 months of age. Mine have started at 5 and 5 1/2 months, and I have heard of hens who lay a few weeks later. Generally, though, 6 months is the laying age.[​IMG]

3. LilRedRoo

LilRedRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Bremond, Texas
    +1 - I've had hens start laying anywhere from 22 weeks to 28 weeks.

4. kkenny24

kkenny24 New Egg

Feb 1, 2014
    I have a barred rock who is 9 months old and still has not laid an egg. Any suggestions to maybe what's going on?

5. cluckcluckgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Are they free range?

6. kkenny24

kkenny24 New Egg

Feb 1, 2014
    Yes.

7. cluckcluckgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    I have heard of people finding the eggs under hay bales, inn bushes, and even tractors. They might be hiding them.

8. kkenny24

kkenny24 New Egg

Feb 1, 2014
    My husband has looked around and hasn't seen anything, but I guess we will look harder! :) any other suggestions? We have recently changed over to a heated water bowl since it is winter. Didn't know if there were any other ideas like that?

9. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Where do you live? My chickens were all laying well, but it has been 3-4 weeks since I have seen an egg. With the winter being so bad, my theory is- they are using their resources to survive (we have had alot of below zero temps minus double digit wind chills) and once the temps are better and there is more daylight, their egg-laying will be back on track. I know alot of folks use artificial light etc.. To keep their hens laying, I prefer to defer to Mother Nature. They will begin to lay again when they are able to. I feed them well and keep them healthy and they are wonderful layers everyday that they are able to be! Good luck!

10. PugetCountry

PugetCountry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    Olympia, WA
    Our chicks were hatched in early May and early June. I got my first egg the first week of January. My second hen started last week. So out of 14 hens we're at 34 weeks for first egg and as the others start laying they will be older than that.

Reading on here last summer I was prepared by 18 weeks to start seeing eggs because of other's early layers. Not the case here.

We live in WA so the winters are very limited with light. But after not using any artificial light and kind of giving up on any winter eggs I do believe that they will lay when they lay. I have 2 laying and 3 more squatting out of the 14 so everyday will get closer to more eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by