1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At what age to ducks start mate?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by K4zn4v3, Feb 20, 2011.

1. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    I tried to put my 4 month old muscovy in with my two year old drake and it didnt go so well. As soon as I walked away he started chasing her around the pen. So at what age do ducks start to mate and at what age will the females accept it? I want to wait untill then to put them in together. I know they start to lay around 7 months so It cant be long before that right?

2. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    I wait until after they lay, you should start seeing her flirting behaviors by then.

3. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    my runners started mating at around 17 weeks. before they started laying. i think it was 23 weeks before they started laying.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My pekins and rouens start breeding around 4 months or so, about 16-18 weeks. Depending on when they hatched (spring or fall), they start laying anywhere from 18-24 weeks. I don't know about muscovies though, I'd assume they are different since they are different from mallard-type ducks.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  5. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

i have 2 cayugas male and female and they have no yet started breeding yet and there slready 5 months old! im suprised its is almost spring and it was VERY warm today in florida!! i dont have a kiddie pool yet still no sign but i have a creek and when i put them in it they race right out when i put them in it... they hate water they cant touch there feet with wuts up no brred no eggs any one can help?? [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    pekinduck<3er :

i have 2 cayugas male and female and they have no yet started breeding yet and there slready 5 months old! im suprised its is almost spring and it was VERY warm today in florida!! i dont have a kiddie pool yet still no sign but i have a creek and when i put them in it they race right out when i put them in it... they hate water they cant touch there feet with wuts up no brred no eggs any one can help?? [​IMG]

If memory serves, my cayugas did take a little longer to start laying. Is the girl flirting (head-bobbing) at all?​

7. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    She is a muscovy, She head bobs all day long. LOL

8. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

both of my duck are hea bobbing but do nothing

9. MommaBugg

MommaBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN
    I had a mystery gender pekin, he/she would quack loud sometimes then raspy other times, but today I found out in a most disturbing way that our 'it' is a drake. He was mounting one of the rouen hens, which I am suprised she let him do considering the size defference, and when he got off her something was trailing [​IMG] LOL.. So he is definately a drake, but they are only 3 months old. Should I start looking for eggs soon, or are they just practicing?

I thought maybe they were just excited because they were playing in their new pool [​IMG]
    My other pekin drakes got their drake feathers at 2 months old, yet this one that is trying to mate still has no drake feathers, so our 'late bloomer' is not so late after all I suppose

10. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Most ducks we've had didn't fully mature to egg laying until 6 months and needed another month or so before they were capable of brooding and raising their ducklings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by