1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At what age to move Poult outside?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by csaiz100, Aug 7, 2014.

1. csaiz100

csaiz100 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    New Mexico
    My 3 Red Bourbon Poults are a little over 4 weeks old now and indoors in my brooder. Since the room has no AC I took the heat lamp off. The room stays warm (About 70 at night, more during the day). At what age can I put them outside in my 3 sided, roofed "nursery coop" with a small doghouse in it? Our temps at night are between 65 and 70.
    Thanks for the advice [​IMG]

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Gosh, if you've gotten them used to temps of 70 at their young age, I would say you should be alright in putting them to their new digs. I noticed you said "3-sided" ... will they be completely enclosed so they can't get out? Do you have plenty of warm pine shvings in the dog house that they can cuddle up in at night?

3. csaiz100

csaiz100 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    New Mexico
    I have a 3 sided lean-to in my arena that we sectioned off with cattle panels covered in chickenwire. the area is at least 6x12 and under the lean-to roof. It also has a covered "People Door". This is where I transition my baby chicks from inside to outside. It also has the doghouse, with straw, a feeder and a waterer.

Once the turks are big enough to free-range how do I feed them since they will run with the chickens? Can I feed the chickens the higher protein turkey food?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by