at what age to wyandottes and chanticlers start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rawheid, Oct 26, 2013.

1. rawheid

rawheid Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    they were hatched sometime in June. I don't have an accurate date as I bought them as teenagers. Plus we have reduced day light as it's fall now. Should I expect eggs this year? or in the new year?

2. horsewoman54

horsewoman54 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    I have 4 Wyandottes and they started laying at 5 months. I bought them from McMurray Hatchery and they are great layers. While I was feeding my horses, one of my hens nestled into the hay and laid an egg right next to me. You should get eggs soon hopefully. I am in Utah and put a heat lamp in the coop on the cold nights but they free range during the day.

3. rawheid

Apr 8, 2013
    thx!! So maybe next month. My isa's started laying at 4 mths, but I thought i had heard that heritage breeds started later

4. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

We have 4 Wyandottes, 1 started laying at 23 weeks, 2 started laying at 25 weeks, the 4th is not yet laying at 31+ weeks.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My Silver-Laced Wyandotte started laying at about 18 weeks old. My Columbian Wyandotte followed about two days later. And, my bantam Wyandottes start laying at around seven months old.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  6. rawheid

Apr 8, 2013
    So they are btw 17-21 weeks so it could be very soon. Thx. We are getting less than 10 hrs daylight. The sky is getting light at 8 am and it's completely dark by 7. So that will play into it as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by