At what age were your Hens and Roosters to give fertile eggs????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by clayhillcouple, Feb 11, 2009.

1. clayhillcouple

clayhillcouple Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    Middleburg Florida
    At what age was everybody's Hen's/ Rooster's to give fertile eggs??? To candle and put in Bator?? My Pullets are about 11 months and roosters about the same.

2. clayhillcouple

Jan 22, 2009
    Middleburg Florida
    We bought a Bator last week. So We started putting aside eggs starting on Feb 5th to hopefully candle this week.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I was getting fertile eggs from the bantams at 5months. The EEs laid a few random eggs at 4months and the odd one was fertile. Now at 6months 1 lays consistently while the other 2 alternate about half their eggs fertile. I think that's because my bantam roo is having problems with or ignoring the EEs for his favorite bantam hen.

4. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    When candling a fertile egg what do you see? I wouldn't think you could see anything. The fertile spot is so small. After placing an egg in the bator they tell you to wait 7 days before candling. At that time I could just make out veins and things.

5. clayhillcouple

Jan 22, 2009
    Middleburg Florida
    Yes -I'm impatiently waiting until the 12th( opps that's today) to candle.Hoping for some good results. Does anybody have training books for the Rooster's to read????

6. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Eggs may be fertile early, but it's not a great idea to set pullet eggs.

They tend to be small and have very hard shells, plus there's greater chance of those little glitches that would result in a poor hatch and/or small chicks.

It's better to wait until the girls mature a little and eggs reach full size.

Eleven months is not too young but make sure the eggs you set are a good size and in good shape.

Far as I know you can't tell a fertile undeveloped egg from candleing. You have to incubate it. [​IMG]

7. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    We just hatched out a batch from some 9 month and 11 month old pullets. Set 37, 34 were viable at 10 days and 28 hatched. The failure rate was about the same for both ages. The 9 mo. BOs had the most vigirious of the chicks that hatched and the best hatch rate, 10/11. We will do another set when the girls are older. It seems some of the chicks had a tough time getting through the hard shells and trouble turning in the small shells to zip. Had to try it anyway.[​IMG]

8. clayhillcouple

Jan 22, 2009
    Middleburg Florida
    We candled some of our eggs from Feb 5th. The RiR's appeared to have donut look that I've seen on threads. So are putting our new eggs directly into the Bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by