1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At what age will a chick use the roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roni0907, Jul 27, 2011.

1. roni0907

roni0907 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    SF Bay/ Delta Area in CA
    I am a newbie, and my 5-6 week old chicks have now spent two nights inside their coop outside. We have to pick them up and put them up in there, but once inside, they seem to settle in for the night just fine. In the morning when I get up, I notice they are already outside in their run, so hopefully they are staying all night inside their house. It is fully contained within the run. My question is around the roost. They are sleeping all cuddled up in the corner of their house, instead of up on their roost. Do you think they just do not know it is there? Should I physically put them up onto it and see if they stay there? Or is it something they will do on their own in their own time? Thank you in advance for your help!! [​IMG]

2. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    All my babies use the roost their first week of life. I built them a mini roost in ery cutetheir brooder and they always hop right up there, very cute.

3. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    My Quail D'Anver chicks were starting to fly at 3 days old. I put pieces of wood in the brooder and they also hopped on top of the EcoGlow.
    I think it depends on the chick and the height of the roost. They are 4 weeks old now and fly around like little helicopters. They like the highest place to roost, or my shoulder.

They also play a little game of who can knock who off the roost. It's so funny to watch!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  4. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I have some that are almost 4 months old that do the same thing. They huddle together on the floor. All the others use the roost. I've seen a couple of them try to get up there and I've put them up there but the jump down. They are heavy and awkward. 2 large RIR's, one black cochin and a buff brahma are the ones.. the other's roost.

5. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Can you put a little ramp or ladder up to the roost??? Maybe once they get comfortable being up there, you can remove it?

6. ErikaSmit

ErikaSmit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Schererville, IN
    Our little sebrights used it first but once my New Hamshire Red "Roasty" got a boost a couple times she was hooked. They sit up there and stare out the window :)

7. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Believe me, they will roost when they get ready to roost.

8. roni0907

roni0907 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    SF Bay/ Delta Area in CA
    I felt so bad this morning....last night DH put the 5 of them onto their roost, but only 3 were out and about this morning. I heard the other two screaming inside. Turns out they were too scared to jump down off of the roost and therefore were "stuck" up there. I helped them down and all is well. I just wonder if it is too high for them, and if we should have built one closer to the ground to use until they were bigger....how high can babies jump??

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I don't force this issue. I put a little 3" high practice roost in the brooder. Most of them love it during the day, but don't sleep there. Later, in the grow out pen, I put a landscape timber on to cement blocks, which is what? 18" high, maybe? They jump right up there. Later, once in the layer's pen, they have no issue using the multi level roost. They do ALL this on their own. My only job is to provide them with age appropriate furniture during their grow out years. I never force or put any chick or chicken on a roost. They have instincts and they'll do what they want, when they need to or want to.

10. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Mine were on their 4' roosts right away, at 6 weeks. It did take the Light Brahmas a little longer, though. I guess cuz they ain't so light!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by