1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At what age will I be able to tell the sex of these breeds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Smartie_Pants, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I have partridge cochins, naked necks, barred rocks, and another breed that is probably jersey giant or australorp. At approximatly what age will I be able to tell the cockerals from the pullets? I know that australorps are slow maturing, so they will probably take a little longer right? They will be about one week old tomorrow.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hey Smartie, I would say four to six weeks minimum. That's when the secondary sex characteristics start to show up in alot of breeds. It helps if you have a few of the same breed to compare too.

3. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    I have the same question- BR & RIR- all 4weeks old. Just bumping you post up:D

4. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    You might be able to identify the cochins as early as 2-3 weeks of age. Males of that kind of variety usually have more color at the age. What color are the naked necks? You'll be able to sex the barred rocks at hatch. Males have larger white spots on the back of their heads, females have smaller, more narrow spots.

5. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I have only had two other barred rocks (one male, one female) but it was a long time ago and I got them when they were about two to three weeks old, not as day olds.

And actually, the barred with the biggest head spot is the one I think is a pullet. The two with smaller head spots have much lighter feathers coming in and are more silver. I'll post some pics so you can see what I mean.

6. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I'll post them in what breed/gender if you want to weigh in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by