1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

AT WHAT AGE WILL MY HENS START LAYING?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by I HRT YARDBIRDS, Oct 24, 2015.

1. I HRT YARDBIRDS

I HRT YARDBIRDS Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2015
    I have a Black Australorpe, Rhode Island Red, Dominique, Speckled Sussex and what I think are 3 Easter Eggers and they're aren't laying. The Easter Eggers I'm not sure on the age. But the rest they will be 6 months on 26th of October. Any Ideas?
    Thanks...

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Should be soon for most of those breeds, certainly within the next month. Keep them on a high quality non medicated grower so they can continue to grow and mature.

3. I HRT YARDBIRDS

May 26, 2015
    I have them on a non medicated organic laying pellet? I hope that is ok I just bought the bag...

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I usually wait until everyone is laying because layer feed is less protein and more calcium which they don't need yet, it shouldn't hurt them.

5. I HRT YARDBIRDS

May 26, 2015
    Oh ok, I was wondering about that because 2 are laying. Thanks.. Anything I should look for if it becomes a problem?

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    From what I understand too much calcium will affect kidneys, but yours should be okay, it's more of a long term thing, like when someone raises chicks on layer, or roosters eating layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by