at what age will the quail start laying?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by beaversmouse, Jun 22, 2010.

1. beaversmouse

beaversmouse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    when we bought the Tennessee Red, we were told that the female would start laying soon...
    it's been 1 month and i didn't know when i should start looking??? what color are they and do they hide them in the coop?

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:TN REDS ARE A COLOR VARIATION OF BOB WHITE. THEY ARE SEASONAL BREEDERS--- LATE SPRING/EARLY SUMMER AND IF THEY TRY A 2ND CLUTCH IT WILL BE SMALLER IN NUMBERS AND AGAIN VERY LATE SUMMER/ EARLY FALL. THEY LOOK WHITE JUST LIKE ALL BOB EGGS AND SHOULD BE QUITE HARD TO HIDE AS THEY LOOK LIKE TINY VERSIONS OF THE ONES YOU BUY TO COOK FOR BREAKFAST AT THE GROCERY STORE.... LIL MORE POINTY ON THE SMALL END, BUT PLAIN WHITE.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Sorry Should Have Mentioned That In Most Cases Bobs Will Not Lay Until Their 1st Full Spring..... So If She Was Hatched Late Winter/ Early Spring You Have Another Yr To Go...

4. beaversmouse

beaversmouse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    you're never going to believe this...we got our very first egg today...just as you described!!! she didn't lay it in the coop, but dug a shallow spot in the corner of the run outdoors and laid. i was laughing that as i worry and ask she is busy laying! will she produce an egg daily or every other like chickens?

5. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    she will lay almost every day, she might skip a day or 2 but for the most part bobwhites are consistent layers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by