At what age will they go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countrygirl4513, Sep 4, 2007.

1. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Any one with experience with standard cochins, or langshans or brahmas...at what age will they usually go broody? After all the loss I've endured I'm sure looking forward to baby peeps. Can anyone enlighten me?

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Broody is a natural instink that is developed by the individual hen. You can't make it happen no matter what you you do. Broody hens are a special bird amoung certain breeds, while some breeds it is commonplace. I've always had respect for the broody mom. I raise nothing but Light Brahmas at the present time and only have one broody hen amoungst 14 hens.

bigzio

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Yup...what Big said....I have Langshans....a black pair and a white pair...LOVE them!! They are sooo sweet...not laying yet...so maye next year. My RIR/mix...didnt go broody till she was almost 2yrs old.

4. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    All of my girls are laying at least they were until the dog attack. Now I'm down to just 2 laying until the wounded heal. I don't think I made my point clear, I know it's an instinct for them to go broody and it can't be forced, what I'm asking is since they are laying, a time frame as to when they may start setting a nest. For those of you who have this type of breed. It's been eons since I've dealt with chickens and have forgotten what I knew, (Old timers disease [​IMG] ) ya'know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by