At what age you recommend selling quails?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by QuailBreeder, Aug 6, 2013.

1. QuailBreeder

QuailBreeder Out Of The Brooder

Now I've started breeding quails, I have to start selling some. At what age do you recommend selling them? I don't want them to be too young, I was thinking about 6 weeks?

2. flg8r

flg8r Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    I'm definitely not experienced, but around here they sell at all ages - fertilized eggs, newly hatched up to adult. A lot of sellers have them on a scale like $1 under 1 week then add $1 a week up to $5. I got mine at about 1-1.5 weeks.

3. veggiecanner

veggiecanner Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    We are having that debate here. I don't want to sell at less than 31 days.
    Hubby wants to sell at 1 week.
    1 week means I have to hatch more and more. And I am wearing out with the garden and all.
    they seem so fragile, I worry some one would want them replaced when they don't brood them right.
    so I am making up families and selling those. $5- $6 a bird. 1 family buys a bag of feed for me.

You can get on a roller coaster and end up with out any for you own use and just a few dollars in your pocket if you get to involved with selling these small animals. Mostly because of the price of feed. Statena is $21.50 here for 50 pounds.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. dougjefferson

dougjefferson Out Of The Brooder

As a newby and in my area I can only get $1.50 per bird. So I sell early and explain the care they need. I sold a dozen birds recently aged between few days to a couple of weeks old. Last heard all doing fine.

5. buttonquailtx

buttonquailtx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    Texas
    It's entirely up to the seller and buyer. Myself, I like to buy them young so I can be sure of their nutrition during their most important growth.

I do suggest that if you plan to sell any birds that are not out of the brooder, make it plain to the buyer that there is no guarantee on the birds. That way it's up to the buyer to decide if he/she wants to take the risk.

6. QuailBreeder

I'm going to sell them at 6 weeks to ensure they're fully feathered, that's probably the best age for my piece of mind. Thank you all for the advice [​IMG]

7. veggiecanner

May 8, 2013
    Problem waiting for 6 weeks roos start crowing

8. dougjefferson

dougjefferson Out Of The Brooder

Only if you don't like their crowing. Or can't have the noise. Plus the longer you keep them the more money you have in them, lowers your profit margins.

9. QuailBreeder

I don't mind the crowing, I have a couple of cocks that crow every so often. I thought 6 weeks was ok but that's when they're fully feathered and ready to breed, I didn't think they would be less valuable as they grow up. I sell mine for £3 each.

10. veggiecanner

May 8, 2013
    My roos from a july 4th hatch are crowing already at 34 days old. They will go to freezer camp, except the ones that I need for breeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by