1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At what age???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beebiz, Jul 5, 2007.

1. beebiz

beebiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    W. Tennessee
    I have some Buff Orphingtons and some Plymouth Barred Rocks that were hatched out on April 5 of this year. About a week and a half ago, some of the Buff boys started trying to crow. Though they sounded (and still do) pitiful, I have to give them an "E" for effort!! And admittedly, I enjoy hearing them belt out their attempts to keep up with the neighbor's roosters!! [​IMG]

At what age or about what age should the girls start to lay eggs? As I said they are all 3 months old today. I was thinking that the girls started laying within 2 or 3 weeks of the boys beginning to crow, but can't remember for sure.

Any help that you can lend would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

2. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    i was wondering the same thing about my americauna pullet she is 8 weeks.

im thinking in about 35235123 months lol
    idk.

3. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    My Barred Rocks started around 4-5 mths.. I got them in October and found my first egg around mid Feb - first part of March.. they were all laying at 5 mths..and the cold weather didnt seem to affect them at all... I would expect the same for the BO.. I think thats about normal unless you have commerical layer types..

4. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    Most breeds of chicken will start laying at the 5-6 month mark. Some will begin to lay earlier, some will begin to lay later. Barred rocks start at about 5 months.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

In weeks, which is the way I always think of it, from 19-24 weeks.

6. ChloesChicky

ChloesChicky Out Of The Brooder

My two buff Orphingtons are 21 weeks old and have NOT started laying. I'm going crazy waiting for an egg!!! I also was wondering when they start laying!

I told those little ladies that if I didn't see an egg soon they were going to the zoo to be fed to the tigers!! [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Should be in a week or two for you. Mine started at 22 and 23 weeks, respectively. I currently have a Blue Orp pullet who is now 22 weeks and just popped out a tiny little pullet egg.

8. beebiz

beebiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    W. Tennessee
    Thanks for all of the replies. After having read all of the posts, it seems like I remember reading a book some time ago about chickens and it said around 5 to 6 months of age. But, I have learned not to place tooooo much trust in my memory any more!!! LOL [​IMG]

Thanks again,
    Robert

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by