1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

At what day do eggs begin to pip?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Flutterbee, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Flutterbee

Flutterbee Chirping

Aug 11, 2014
    Virginia
    My hen is currently sitting on nineteen eggs (yeah, I know, that's a lot. I didn't realize until I actually counted today) and today is either day nineteen or day twenty. When I went outside and looked under her and lifted up a few of the eggs, I heard no chirping from within (except maybe a soft "popping" noise but I could be making that up) and from an outward appearance without bothering any of the others, no one had any little pips in them :(. I really hope they are okay. At what day do most eggs begin to pip?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. Flutterbee

Flutterbee Chirping

Aug 11, 2014
    Virginia
    It is safe to candle or should I avoid it at this point?

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Crowing

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Leave her to it, and stop lifting :)

Chicken eggs generally take 21 days to hatch, but it can happen sooner or later. If you're hen is sitting on 19 eggs, there's a very good chance that she's not covering them all properly, which means that they may be a bit late from incubating at low temps.

I would just leave her alone at this point and :fl

Good luck!

4. Flutterbee

Flutterbee Chirping

Aug 11, 2014
    Virginia
    Thank you so much! I will leave her alone then :) Hopefully I'll have some babies. Do you know how much of a difference a cooler temperature would make a hatch be later? (Wow, weird sentence). I mean, instead of tomorrow, could I be looking at a Thursday or Friday hatching date?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  5. mmclaughlin

mmclaughlin Chirping

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    good luck hope you see babies soon!! post pics too!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: