At what point do you re-home the roos?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Haunted Chicken, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    I'm 99.99999% sure I have two blue Ameraucana roos. At what age do you try to re-home them? I have 2 farms that are willing to take them, but I don't think they would last at this age (6 weeks) [​IMG]. I have a feeling they would be pretty much free ranging with other roos during the day. Not a "pet" set up like my home. Or do I wait for a crow or two to even think about it?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Mine only ever get re-homed to the crock-pot but I wait until after first crow to take that action.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    In my experience, many folks just don't have the set-up to house a baby or juvenile chicken. I typically do wait until 18 weeks if I'm hoping to find a pet home for them, but you have to do what's comfortable for YOU.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    When they are big enough to eat which is typically in the 16-20 week range. All the unwanted boys go to the swap.

5. Haunted Chicken

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    I guess only in a dream world do we find "pet homes" for roos [​IMG] I think I'll stick with pullets for now on. Raising chicks has been fantastic but losing roos is not fun at all [​IMG]

6. Haunted Chicken

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:OK have to admit this was pretty funny ....as long as it's not my little guys ...or at least I don't find out about it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by