At what temp and at what age do they not need a heater?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HeatherLynn, May 15, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Ok so chicks ranging in age from 5 to 8 weeks. They are in a new coop that is solid wood on 3 sides and the roof and poultry wire mesh on the 4th wall. There are rain flaps to protect from wind and rain when needed. It is roughly 70 degrees here now but it is raining here and there. There are 14 of them in this coop which is roughly 3X4. There are huddled together but they are like that even when I have a lamp on them. They just go to the corner the lamp does not shine on and huddle there. Are they a bit too young for this set up and should be back under a heat lamp inside? They are protected/ no adult or larger chicks have access to them.

Its just 14 of them smell SOOO bad inside. I would love to keep them out in this if I could. I might even run the lamp out there. If they were in the main coop with the adults I have a heat lamp and electric there. Just nothing on that side of the chicken yard. They are still all being kept strictly separate from my other chickens until I am sure they are clear of anything that might spread.

2. suzyq53511

suzyq53511 Drowning in Chickens!

Apr 30, 2010
    Beloit
    If they have a heat lamp they should be okay outside!

3. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    They do not have a heat lamp outside. Unfortunately they are in the chicken yard but pretty far from the electric. Indoors I did not keep them under a heat lamp the last week because frankly its been hotter than hades and the poor little things were trying to escape the lamp.

I moved them outside because its so warm and they are so very stinky but I am fretting enough to haul them back in. Its only 70 or so outside tonight. I kept the ones I had last year indoors till they were close to 16 weeks. I think I should have waited.

4. suzyq53511

suzyq53511 Drowning in Chickens!

Apr 30, 2010
    Beloit
    well at 5 weekish they need it 75ish. im new to just trying to help.

5. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    I think it depends on the breed. Most common breed are fast to feather and do fine at 70 degrees by week 6.

100-95 week one
    95-90 week two
    90-85 week three
    85-80 week four
    80-75 week five
    75-70 week six

But there is some breeds that take the full 22 weeks before they can safely be put outside.

6. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I am starting to think mine might be older than 6 weeks. I know the BR's are fully feathered. I do have a silkie but it was on the large side when I got it. It still looks a little rough and still has a bit of feathering out to do I think. Its just now getting spikies on its head. I would say its a good 10 inches tall. The RIR, orpington and the brown leghord also are fully feathered. The br's already had some barring showing on the wings when I brought them home but I assumed they were roughly a week old. I just hope they are fine out there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by