1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At what temp do you close the windows?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gale65, Sep 21, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Right now our chicks are in the old coop, in which the only ventilation is the windows on either end. We are building a new coop which will have vents up high for winter and windows all around for summer. What temp do I need to watch for to close the windows? I am concerned about them not getting enough ventilation if I close them so I want to wait until it's absolutely necessary. I'm really hoping our new coop is ready soon but it's slow going. DH is getting ready for harvest so he only has time to work on it for a couple of hours a day. The chicks are 17 weeks old and right now, in a coop that is about 4 x 6.

2. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    There is a page on here about ventilation that you should check out. I believe it is posted in the Learning Center.

I know that chickens can experience some frostbite with the temps are between 20 and 32 degrees F. Vaseline on their combs and waddles will help prevent this.

They should have an infrared heat lamp when temps dip below 20 degrees F.

On the other end of the scale, chickens can experience soft shell eggs and heat stress in temps 85 to 90 degrees F.

Temps above 90 to 95 degrees F they can experience hyperthermia, and may need to be soaked in water, or the area cooled with box fans.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Different breeds of chickens have different cold/heat tolerances, too. I have Serama crossbreeds, mostly, and live in Texas where we had temps well over 100 degrees all summer. My little bantams handled this heat fine, although by July I was bringing them indoors at night because the night time temps were only coming down into the high 80's, low 90's. Of course, they couldn't handle freezing temps as well as some of the big, fluffy feathered breeds.

You do want to avoid leaving windows open that could allow a draft to blow onto the birds as they roost. For my bantams, I close down the lower windows when the temps get down into the fifties, but I have vents up at the top of the front and back walls that I leave open, and these provide more than adequate ventilation without drafts.

When the temps are getting down to the fifities, I notice my chickens bunching together more on the roost and trying to snuggle under each other. That's my cue to close down the windows.

4. gale65

That's just it-I only have the 2 windows right now and in a 4 x 6 coop (windows on the 4' ends) there isn't a lot of choice about where the air comes in. I'm weighing the risk of drafts w/ the risk of no ventilation. I read the ventilation page and it's all helpful but I need to know the best for my situation right now until we get the new coop done. Should I close just one window (maybe the north one) at night? And that way the warm air has a place to go out but there's no cross draft. Right now it's only getting in the mid to upper 40s at night but the weather can change on a dime here.

5. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    The key is draft. On a cold, windless night, it is not a concern. But when the wind picks up, it would be time to start closing down. Always start with the un-wind side. Also, can you partially close your windows? In early fall, I don't imagine it is cold enough yet to worry.

6. gale65

I can partially close the south window-it's a regular double hung storm window. The north one is just a piece of wood, hinged on the bottom, that swings up or down. So I could use some wire to close it all but a few inches and then it wouldn't let much air in.

7. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    i am new to the site and been reading posts......here is my stupid question~!!!...what does DH stand for???...

8. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    All of my windows are hinged at the top. When opened, they also act as awnings to keep rain out. You might want to consider it. I just change the propping stick to vary the size of opening.

9. birdmomma

birdmomma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Loveland, OH
    (cut and pasted from another person's post) and there's abbreviations for chick breeds too

DH=Dear (most times) Husband
    DD=Dear Daughter, Dear Dad
    DS=Dear Son
    DM=Dear Mother, Dear Mom
    DF=Dear Father
    DSD=Dear StepDaughter
    DSS=Dear stepSon
    DSM=Dear StepMother
    DSF=Dear StepFather
    BIL=Brother in Law
    SIL=Sister in Law
    MIL=Mother in Law
    FIL=Father in Law
    DC=Dear Children

10. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Quote:DH = Dear Hubby, Dear Husband, Darling Hubby, etc. DD= Dear Daughter, DS = Dear Son and on and on MIL= Mother In Law. [​IMG]

Not a stupid question at all. Just abbreviations!

Edited to add: Timing is everything! You have everyone typing a response to you at the same time. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by