At what temp do you shut windows?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by naturababe, Aug 23, 2010.

1. naturababe

naturababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    It's cold and rainy here in MA and the chickens are out in the rain (their choice, they could go into the coop) but i wonder should i shut the coop windows so that it's warmer tonight? Will they get sick after being wet? The coop has lot's of ventilation at the top so the coop wouldn't be airless with the windows shut.

thanks [​IMG]

2. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens go out in all weather freezing cold and snow or hot and deadly humid (like now) I think they know when to come in and get dried off for the night. Keep your windows open for the fresh air. My coop get sealed up sometime after the killing frost and before the snow flies...usually! Terri O

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I never have my coops shut completely up.....even in the dead of winter. They need the fresh air.

4. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I close up the windows & vents tight if temps go below 5 degrees. I close just windows at night if temps go below 40 degrees, but I leave the vents open. High winds are always a factor. This cool, damp rain we are having now is fine. Leave your windows and vents open - it helps dry the birds off. Don't spoil them with any warmth now, they'll need to acclimate to cooler nights to get ready for those cold winters!

edited for spelling...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My coop has two very large windows, one is approx. 4 ft. H x 8 ft. long, the other is 4 ft. high x 5 ft. long. I close them when the temps. start going below 40* at night. The vents at the roof level are never closed.

6. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    I never completely close it up. When it gets to -40F depending on the wind, I will close the window at night and crack it open during the day. My chickens will go out even when it is -40F.

7. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    It's drizzly and 62 degrees in MA now, and I assure you, my chickens are far happier than they were a few weeks ago when it was over 100! Silly birds were standing out in a hard rain yesterday, not bothered by it at all. After all that heat, even I was out there enjoying it with them. When a downpour started up, they finally straggled indoors, but grumbled about it the rest of the day.

I keep the windows open in the coop until it hits about 40. I close the trap door to the run at night when it's somewhere between 20 and 30, or we're expecting serious wind with the cold. It's still August - I think you still have some time before you have to batten the hatches! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by