At what temp does a breeze become a draft?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kittyacid, Sep 10, 2009.

1. kittyacid

kittyacid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    I want the coop to be free of drafts for the winter, but what range of temperatures makes the airflow become an unpleasant draft? At what temp do most of you winterize? My girls are a bantam silkie and brahma, and an orpington, australorp and blue cochin. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I'd say below about 65 they don't need a breeze anymore.

3. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    Quote:Below 65 probably seems chilly in Florida! If I had to go around with a heavy feather coat on all the time, I'd be happy to have a little breeze at that temp [​IMG]. If you have a sheltered area and your chickens are able to move in and out of any breezeway as they choose, I imagine they'll be fine.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I would say let your chickens tell you. If you go out there in the early morning and they are (or, by their droppings, evidently *have* been) huddled in a corner or end of the roost or furthest from the draft, or are *looking* like they are cold, then that is telling you they need breezes blocked. While still leaving adequate ventilation of course.

The actual temperature will depend a lot on humidity of the air; also on your individual chickens. I would say that in the climate we have here, they for sure shouldn't have active breeze blowing "at" them once temps get down well into the 40s F, and they may wish to stay out of the breeze at milder temps too, depending on the chicken.

But, if you just check on them a little more frequently, you will be able to judge by their behavior. Eyeballs are always better than internet [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Quote:Below 65 probably seems chilly in Florida! If I had to go around with a heavy feather coat on all the time, I'd be happy to have a little breeze at that temp [​IMG]. If you have a sheltered area and your chickens are able to move in and out of any breezeway as they choose, I imagine they'll be fine.

LOL, you're probably right. I walk around with a sweater on when it's 75. [​IMG]

6. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    LOL, you're probably right. I walk around with a sweater on when it's 75. lol

LOL...up here in Canuck-land, I'm getting a bit too hot at that temperature. It is all what we're used to, I guess. I hope my girls get acclimatized to cold weather when we get them...

7. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

The temp will vary when it becomes a draft from a breeze , it all depends on temp , Humidity , dew point and wind speed . Im a major in weather just thought you would like to know that if you wanted to get technical LOL

8. zavierchick

zavierchick Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    Lakewood, CO
    Quote:yep, here in CO 75 is shorts weather for sure - I don't pull on long pants until low 60's or high 50's and long sleeve shirts are for 40 or under degree days [​IMG] I hope our girls get used to the cold, too - and worse than the cold is the wild temp swings - it was 86 yesterday and is predicted for 59 tomorrow [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by