At what temperature should I heat the coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenalice, Sep 19, 2010.

1. chickenalice

chickenalice Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    In the winter the coldest it will get is around 30 (usually at nights). The coop isnt closed in on all sides. The front is just made of wire. Should I put a heat lamp in there during the winter? or will they be fine without it?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Why not close in the open side?

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    As long as they don't have wind blowing in on them they should be fine. If they do have direct drafts then you need to address that issue, heating lamps won't help. I *think* that some of the folks with open front coops close part of them up either with plywood or plastic for the winter months. The main thing with chickens is that they have a place that is dry and draft free, if they have that they can handle MUCH colder temp. then what you seem to have with no problems.

4. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I would close up the open side through the winter. A draft is more dangerous than the temperature. You could put up a temporary piece of plywood or even use bales of hay and stack them up to create an enclosure.

5. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    If it only gets 30, they'll be fine. I don't give them a heat lamp til the temp reaches single digits....But I would definitely put up some visqueen as a wind guard. You don't want them getting a draft.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

How old are your birds and what breed are they?

7. chickenalice

chickenalice Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Right now they are 6 weeks, but it wont be getting that cold until December/January. Now the lowest temperature at night is around the mid 70's. I have an australorp, white leghorn, rhode island red, barred rock, and speckled sussex.

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    My chickens would love 30 in the winter--it is often below zero inside the coop and the only heat is what comes off their bodies. In fact, we're expecting temperatures in the upper 30's tonight and the windows in my coop are wide open. As long as your chickens are sheltered from the wind, they will be just fine at 30 without any heat at all unless you're keeping jungle fowl or some exotic warm weather kind--I see you don't, your breeds are about the same as mine.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I agree with the others who said just partially close the front of the coop, leaving some ventilation but keeping the drafts out.

10. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    I don't provide heat and it gets into the negative teens here. Occasionally negative 20's.

I would cover that open side like others said, leaving some open for fresh air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by