At wits ends!!! Chickens have unidentified bugs on them.

Kelson

Chirping
Apr 16, 2015
My flock of 12 have very, very, very tiny bugs on them. I've tried numerous times to take pictures of the bugs but they are so small I can not get a picture of the bugs. They are just barely visable.they are a creamish/tan color. I have treated the flock the coop and the run with de/woodash, poultry dust×2 and sev in dust. I've knocked the amount of bugs back tremendously, but can't get rid of the **** things. What else can I do? I hate the thought of using chemicals on them over and over again. I'm getting increasing frustrated now.

Hi! It sounds like lice, could be mites. have you completely stripped old bedding and sprayed/powdered the coop? I use Bayer Permecterin II premise spray with 30 day residual in the barn, coop and run (10% permethrin). Can you look into a permethrin based powder to treat the flock? Here's a chart I found of what kills what.
I hope someone with more pest exp replies but in the mean time, that's all I have! Best of luck! Keep us posted.
External Parasite Treatments for Chickens
Pesticide​
Effective against​
Uses​
Forms​
Camphor Scaly leg mite Chicken’s legs and feet Ointment
Diatomaceous earth (DE) Lice, northern fowl mite, roost mite Chicken, coop, dustbath Powder
Garlic juice Northern fowl mite Chicken Spray
Ivermectin Lice, northern fowl mite, roost mite, scaly leg mite Chicken By mouth or injection, prescribed by a veterinarian
Neem oil Lice, northern fowl mite, roost mite Chicken, coop Spray
Petroleum jelly/sulfur mix Scaly leg mite Chicken’s legs and feet Ointment
Pyrethrin and permethrin Lice, northern fowl mite, roost mite Chicken, coop Powder, spray, dip
Sulfur Lice, northern fowl mite, roost mite Chicken, coop, dustbath Powder, spray

Sounds like they may have lice. Have you check their vents to see if they have eggs at the base of the feathers? they look grayish lumps of stuff at the base of the feathers. If you treat them for lice, you have to retreat them after the eggs hatch.
Here is a link to the Chicken Chick website, she has some nice picture of poultry lice and treatment.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

That's the thing, There is nothing in their feathers. My husband can't even see the bugs. And each treatment I've listed above has been 5-9days apart from the previous. I just have them another wood ash bath yesterday.

Ok. after another ash dusting and sevin dusting. THEY STILL HAVE BUGS!!!!!!
barnie.gif
somad.gif

Im starting to wonder also if this is why my oldest (25weeks) haven't started laying.

I went out with tape today and got them stuck to the tape and tried to take a picture. It still wont show up. :( they are so dang tiny.
I should add we have sand on the ground of the coop and run. when I clean I scoop all the poo, rake out the entire thing, dust all the roost, the ground, rake that to mix it in and redust the ground again.
What can I do... Im nearly to the point of wanting to cull/get rid off them... This is getting expensive, time consuming, and obviously stressful.

Back
Top Bottom