Ataching hardware cloth advice

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wannabchick, Jan 6, 2011.

1. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    http://www.k9kennelstore.com/documents/kennels.html
    Thinking
    of purchasing this run for my chicks this spring

How do I attach the hardware cloth to it, what size hardware as in I noticed they come in different sizes, and lastly where do you purchase yours from?
    Oh and one more question,

Should I have the kennel covered on top completely, or just order one top so the other half is open, and just add netting on the side, or would you advise me to have two of the tops on it . So the run is fully covered?..By having the two awnings on it, no sun then.. Or leaving one side without the awning and adding netting over that section?

I noticed the size I want to get would need two awnings to fully cover the run, is awnings such as what this site offers good to keep hawks from nose diving

Hope iam explaining myself correctly.

Yes, we have hawks like crazy ....

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Wanna, here's a pic of our hardware cloth enclosed run. We got the hardware cloth in rolls special-ordered from our local hardware store. It was pricey but so worth it. We have a small flock, so any loss would have been unacceptable.

I will look in my Yahoo Flickr to see if I still have a closeup pic of the washer thingies my DH used to anchor it to the support beams...

We dug down a foot around the sides and started the hardware cloth covering from there. We've had that system in place for three years now and have NEVER had a problem with predators.

[​IMG]

3. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Since Hawks or other birds of prey are an issue, cover the run completely. They have been known to get in anyway they can! If you are in a warm area, the more shade the better. I got my hardware cloth at Home Depot, but I don't remeber the size - 1/4 inch holes, maybe? Make sure it is too small for a little racoon hand to get through!
    I used roofing nails to secure the hardware cloth - worked great with the big disks holding it down.

4. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
  5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
  6. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    He asked about securing it to"metal mesh fencing,not wood.

Use wire or even the plastic wire ties to tie the hardware cloth to the metal. Teadious,but will work.

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Yeah, you're right. Oh well.

8. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:Yeah, you're right. Oh well.

I know,most of us use wood posts. As I do as well. No harm,no fowl. [​IMG]

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I use thin gauge galvanized steel wire (what the hardware cloth is made of) and "sew" it to stuff like chainlink, cattle panels, or anything else I can't easily use screws to secure it with. It can be made to look neat and it's very strong.

10. Dixieangeln

Dixieangeln Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    NC/VA line
    We used staples and staple gun to attach the hardware cloth to the wood posts [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by