Ataxic pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LaurenM, Mar 16, 2013.

1. LaurenM

LaurenM Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2012
    I have a 22 week old Sebright pullet displaying neurologic signs. We took her to our vet and he is completely stumped. Her only symptom of illness is severe ataxia - otherwise she is bright, active, eating, drinking and foraging with no respiratory distress, no sneezing, no coughing, no discharge, has normal stool. None of my other birds are affected. The vet gave her a shot of Dex and put her on a broad spectrum antibiotic. Anyone have any ideas that we can take to our vet so we can provide better supportive care?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't know the answer, but I wonder if it could be Marek's disease.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sounds like Marek's to me. Also, someone here posted that they did some research and found that Sebrights are more susceptible to Marek's than other breeds. If it's Marek's I'm guessing that she'll get worse and then maybe get better.

If she were mine, I would weigh her daily and keep her indoors with access to food and a water dish that she cannot drown in.

4. LaurenM

LaurenM Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2012
    Thank you for the input! She became completely recumbent - I kept her inside, warm and had to syringe her food as she was losing weight daily. This lasted for a couple weeks and then she slowly started to regain strength in her wings and legs. She is now completely normal, bright and healthy. Is that typical of Marek's?

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It can be. Hope it was just a fluke and that she doesn't relapse. [​IMG]

BTW, good job on providing the supportive care she needed! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by