Atccking hawk just got attacked!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MuranoFarms, Nov 9, 2010.

1. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I've been having a hawk hang around lately. I'm pretty sure it made off with a baby early last month. So, all the babies are no longer allowed to free range. I was trying to 'train' the hawk that there is no food here.....and hoped he would move on to the woodland critters instead. Well, I guess mr hawk got a little too hungry and tried to make off with a full size silkie hen! The hawk tried to lift her and kept flopping back down and trying to fly up. I saw it out the window. I hollered for the dog to 'get the hawk' and we both went running out the door. We weren't even halfway across the yard when my FBCM roo came trucking over and spurred that hawk right in the back! The hawk let go and flew off with the dog running into the woods after it barking her head off. The hen ran to me and practically flew into my arms! I have never seen Copper attack another animal before! He sure earned some extra treats today! The hen doesn't seem to have any serious injuries, just a slight cut next to her beak. She's in the house with me resting.

I have never seen anything like this! Anyone else have a roo attack a hawk?

2. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:Nope, however Saturday morning my One brained 15 stomached and 30 legged Goldens came under attack in their pen, the hawk took off before I could get to the pen and went under their coop banging itself up pretty good, it then took off only to be struck by a murder of crows, the last I saw of it, it was falling followed very closely by 6 large crows. I don't think the hawk got away from them.

3. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I haven't had it yet, but that's what the roosters are for. I'm going through the same thing here, just lost a 2 month old silkie yesterday. Had one buzz my run a couple weeks ago but only the big girls were out then. I don't have a rooster yet, well, one my silkies looks like it's a roo but it's only 2 months old as well! Good roo you have there!

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Wow! If only you had a video camera! Feisty little silkie you've got there, and hats off to your rooster and dog! So glad to hear things turned out OK.

Last month, while I was on the phone, I had the windows open because it was pretty nice out, and I heard my little mutt chicken, Whitey, sounding the alarm......I ran outside just in time to see a hawk coming down over top of one of my hybrid layers, Lily! I yelled and ran towards them and the hawk flew up without grabbing her. Such a close call!

Darned hawks......I still let mine free range though....they're just so much happier....I would lock up the babies too though....

Thanks for sharing your exciting story!

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Well that's one hawk won't ever be back to your place.

What a team.
    I would make a peanut butter sandwich and let the dog and roo split it, course the roo will just let his hens have it.

Do you have a photo of the Dynamic Duo?

6. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    I love your post. And my hubby wonders why I insist I need a roo. My son rented a house near the land lord who had a pair of banties free ranging. The mail looked like an OEG. He watched him alert the hen and babies to the hawk a time or two. Then one day the hawk tried anyway and the roo went after the hawk and drove him off.

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I have cultivated a pretty large flock of blue jays to hang around. They were the ones that warned me when a red-tailed hawk was about to kill one of my ducks. I heard the racket they were making and ran outside to see a duck pinned on the ground stunned, with a large hawk about to take the first chomp. I've also seen them harass a Cooper's hawk so badly it flew straight at my husband and I in an effort to scare off the jays. It almost clipped me in the head. The jays never wavered, though, and I had to hit the dirt to avoid being speared by an angry mob of jays bent on destruction.

Many treats for your roo tonight! Good work, Copper.

8. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Quote:I gave them noodles and shrimp left over from dinner 2 nights ago! Like a good roo....Copper did share!
    Here they are:
    [​IMG]
    Lulu sleeping on the back of the couch....she watches the chickens out the window from there!
    [​IMG]

9. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Amazing pair! Beautiful, too!

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Never had my roo attack a hawk, but DID have a broody mom to a 180 and beat a hawk into the rocks so hard when it tried to get her chick that I did not have a hawk problem for 3-4 years. However, that hawk family has been replaced and I now have hawk issues again. Figure having your food beat you up is a good way to not want to eat it again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by