Ate a rubber band?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Red Dust Ranch, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Red Dust Ranch

Red Dust Ranch New Egg

Dec 4, 2008
    New Mexico
    My Rhode Island Red just ate a rubber band that I accidentally dropped in the coop... does anyone know if this is O.K.?
    Thank you in advance,
    Red Dust Ranch

2. papadekaitlyn

papadekaitlyn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Alabama
    I have no idea. I have heard of chickens eating a multitude of weird things and not being hurt. My best guess is that if it doesn't resrict the birds digestive tract then it should be fine. I don't believe rubber bands contain any toxic ingredients, so chemically it should be Ok...

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My old cat used to eat them alot and she was always ok. Hope your hen doesn't have any adverse effects.

4. chicken+quail=luv

chicken+quail=luv Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Strawberry fields.
    my friends said that they dropped a bendable little twist tie in the coop, and the hen ate it. she seemed fine at first, and then died and was perfectly healthy.

5. papadekaitlyn

papadekaitlyn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Alabama
    A twist tie does have a piece of wire in it though. I think your chances are pretty good with it just being a rubber band. You shouldn't get worried straight away. Do you have granite grit avaialble to your flock? I ask because some people I've talked to only give theirs sand. The granite grit might be coarse enough to eventually grind it up. Of course on the other hand it may just pass on through with no problems... How big was the rubber band?

6. Red Dust Ranch

Red Dust Ranch New Egg

Dec 4, 2008
    New Mexico
    The rubber band was a regular size... 1/4 inch width... I appreciate all your feedback.
    Red Dust Ranch, New Mexico

7. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    I'm guessing your RIR will be okay. Our girls have eaten foam, rope and even a metal stud they pulled out of my ear... [​IMG]

8. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Chickens have tough digestive tracts!! I can't be certain he/she will recover, but I hope so...

9. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    DO NOT give them crushed granite. Right now I have a girl that is with the vet and is bleeding internally from that stuff...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by