Ate Moldy Steamed Crimped Oats!!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by echix, Aug 14, 2011.

  1. echix

    echix Chillin' With My Peeps

    134
    8
    141
    Apr 18, 2007
    TEXAS
    What do you give if you think your goose ate about 1/2 handful or less of steamed crimped oats that could have been slightly moldy.....

    I should have known not to believe what I read on the internet -- someone said steamed crimped oats were ok for geese..... so I got some.

    I should have gotten just rolled oats apparently - they don't have the husk on them and are easier to digest??

    Anyway the freak at the feed store said the bags were 4 weeks old.... after goose ate some hours later started acting a bit strange, not sure if it's related but want to know what would you give it it was. We smelled the oats like BIG WHIFFFFFFF and they did smell a little funky!

    DANG!!!!!!!!

    What do you give when you think they ate something moldy???
     
  2. Oregon Blues

    Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

    5,532
    183
    273
    Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Geese can eat steam rolled oats. All grain is harvested once a year so just before harvest, any feed you are feeding is almost 1 year old.

    It's your job as the human to sniff any bag of feed for mold smells before you feed it.

    Oat smell is a bit "funky". It's sort of grassy smelling. As long as you don't smell mold, they are probably OK. If you are worried, take the bag back to the feed store and get a refund. Or at least have someone who is accustomed to working with feed take a sniff of them. Do you know anyone who owns horses?

    Moldy feed would give them a bad stomach, not a one eye reaction. I suspect that your goose got something into her eye, or a scratch or blow to the eye, not the feed.

    But take the feed back if it makes you uncomfortable.
     
  3. Miss Lydia

    Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

    69,832
    5,541
    671
    Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  4. badgerhill101

    badgerhill101 New Egg

    1
    0
    6
    Nov 29, 2011
    i have a lot of oats that is a bit mouldy if i wash it a few times would it be ok to feed chickens. i mean wash it untill it is perfectly clean[​IMG]
     
  5. Miss Lydia

    Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

    69,832
    5,541
    671
    Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I wouldn't use them.
     
  6. RURU

    RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

    2,411
    115
    203
    Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop


    Anytime food molds DO NOT FEED IT TO YOU GEESE or any birds, horse or any animal...... [​IMG] Get rid of it. If you feed it you will kill your animals or birds....


    Quote:
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by