Ate our Roo's this weekend! Tastes like chicken! =)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by serena763, Oct 25, 2010.

1. serena763

serena763 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    I had 7 white leghorn roosters thrown in with my hens and decided to eat them when the crowing got out of hand. It's been 15 years since I've butchered anything and I can say me and my husband did a great job! I hung them upside down and slit their throats and let them bleed out. I was su prised how easily the feathers came out after dipping them in hot water. Much easier than what I remember! Not much meat on the leghorns and the dark meat was a little chewy. Other than that the breast meat was delicious and I'll be making a tasty chicken noodle soup tomorrow.

I was thinking of ordering a few meat birds. Any suggestions?? Cornish X?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Congratulations! I am a big fan of the CornishXs. You've got to love a bird that is genetically programmed to reach those sizes in just 9 weeks. I have always been very pleased with them. Some people aren't as impressed with the flavor as with other meat birds, but I love the mild flavor.

3. serena763

serena763 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    Thanks!! I'm really thinking about ordering some...especially if they reach dinner time at 9 weeks!! [​IMG]

4. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one eating smaller chickens. I have a few welsummer cockerels that will meet their fate on Friday. I somehow got a reputation around here as the guy that takes roosters and people give out my number to friends who call up out of the blue with free roosters. Some people just shoot them and throw them in the woods which seems like a waste of a life to me. Keep eating those chickens, they have great flavor. Even if the dark meat is a little tougher.

Brian

5. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    Good for you! Our Jaerhon surplus roosters were delicious last night!

6. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    I would suggest you order your meat birds from http://www.centralhatchery.com/ I just had 51 butchered and the processor said it had been a long time since she had done "real" meaties. They were eight weeks old, almost to the day and the average weight was 4.257 lbs. per bird. The other attractive thing is they only cost $0.70 each, but do charge an extra $5.00 if you order less than 100. Not only do they grow fast and big, they taste great.

7. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    I LOVE excess roosters! I got me a nice barred rock roo in the crock pot right now. I'm making up some broth. It's going to be my famous Samhain soup tonight!

Got nothing to add about CX, but I hope you have a lovely dinner out of your leghorns!

8. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    I've got a del mix roo in the stew pot as we speak. Hoping he makes a nice chicken soup for this lovely Samhain eve.

Hope you all have much joy and love in your new year. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by