Atention everyone.

mr.mc.

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Indiana
Hello everyone.
smile.png
It's time to tell you a secret. I am a some what experienced parrot trainer who is all ways looking to get a lot more experience.
If you ever have any questions about biting, trick training, or even clicker training I'm the guy to talk to.
wink.png

And if you, or anyone you know has an unwanted bird please fell free to message me.
tongue.png

Waves hand in the air. I've got a question.

Have a young parrotlet. About 2 months now. It has taken him awhile to start to feel comfortable. Funny enough I found I hated the cage I had for him. Got a new one and he started getting better right away. Guess he didn't like it either.

He is pretty good with me handling him, will step up and I think on the verge of talking. I really want to start clicker training him, but he won't take treats yet and so far doesn't like to stay on a table. Is fine on a play stand, on top of the cage or on me.

I understand clicker training, just can't get him to take treats yet.

mr.mc. :

Hello everyone.
smile.png
It's time to tell you a secret. I am a some what experienced parrot trainer who is all ways looking to get a lot more experience.
If you ever have any questions about biting, trick training, or even clicker training I'm the guy to talk to.
wink.png

And if you, or anyone you know has an unwanted bird please fell free to message me.
tongue.png

We came home from work one day and my African Grey looked at my husband and said "Whore." At first we just ignored her, but being the buggar that she is she just kept calling him it. We have no idea where she learnt it from as it's not something we have ever said in our home. So after ignoring her and getting no results we told her "naughty" She will say Ok, but then when my husband says something to her she will say "what whore." She is known for making up names for other animals or people. She calls my older son Mary and used to call Julian our late beloved sun conure Sophia. My husbands name is Joe and she will say his name, but once he starts to talk to her she starts calling him a whore. Got any ideas. I've had parrots for 45years. I've never had this problem before. Sonny was a rescue that I got when she was 2. I didn't meet my husband for another 6 years so I doubt it is residual from her previous owners as all that has been gone for a very long time. Sonny is 17 years old and she started saying this to my husband about 5 years ago. She is a little stinker. What ya think? Should I give her a bar of soap to chew on? She never calls me anything like that. She also dearly loves my husband. When he was bed ridden due to an accident she would climb the steps to go see him.​

Quote:
We came home from work one day and my African Grey looked at my husband and said "Whore." At first we just ignored her, but being the buggar that she is she just kept calling him it. We have no idea where she learnt it from as it's not something we have ever said in our home. So after ignoring her and getting no results we told her "naughty" She will say Ok, but then when my husband says something to her she will say "what whore." She is known for making up names for other animals or people. She calls my older son Mary and used to call Julian our late beloved sun conure Sophia. My husbands name is Joe and she will say his name, but once he starts to talk to her she starts calling him a whore. Got any ideas. I've had parrots for 45years. I've never had this problem before. Sonny was a rescue that I got when she was 2. I didn't meet my husband for another 6 years so I doubt it is residual from her previous owners as all that has been gone for a very long time. Sonny is 17 years old and she started saying this to my husband about 5 years ago. She is a little stinker. What ya think? Should I give her a bar of soap to chew on? She never calls me anything like that. She also dearly loves my husband. When he was bed ridden due to an accident she would climb the steps to go see him.

Oh African greys are so silly!
tongue.png

well. first of all is this a problem?
If so she maybe just trying to get attention. Greys are super smart after all.
wink.png

Quote:
One more question first. dose he get any treats from his food bowl, toys in his cage, ect?

mr.mc. :

Quote:
We came home from work one day and my African Grey looked at my husband and said "Whore." At first we just ignored her, but being the buggar that she is she just kept calling him it. We have no idea where she learnt it from as it's not something we have ever said in our home. So after ignoring her and getting no results we told her "naughty" She will say Ok, but then when my husband says something to her she will say "what whore." She is known for making up names for other animals or people. She calls my older son Mary and used to call Julian our late beloved sun conure Sophia. My husbands name is Joe and she will say his name, but once he starts to talk to her she starts calling him a whore. Got any ideas. I've had parrots for 45years. I've never had this problem before. Sonny was a rescue that I got when she was 2. I didn't meet my husband for another 6 years so I doubt it is residual from her previous owners as all that has been gone for a very long time. Sonny is 17 years old and she started saying this to my husband about 5 years ago. She is a little stinker. What ya think? Should I give her a bar of soap to chew on? She never calls me anything like that. She also dearly loves my husband. When he was bed ridden due to an accident she would climb the steps to go see him.

Oh African greys are so silly!
tongue.png

well. first of all is this a problem?
If so she maybe just trying to get attention. Greys are super smart after all.
wink.png

Oh yeah she's a smart one. It's not really a problem for me, but my husband wants it to stop. He's now resorting to telling her to find another word. Not sure that's such a good idea. She knows way to many that we wish she didn't. Of course then she has a horrible hacking cough and must get attention for that. We've tried the ignoring the bad and rewarding the good. Normally if she says a bad word and I tell her naughty she won't say it again. She just really likes the sound of her special name for my husband. Most of the time I don't even notice it until he tells her to find a better word. I'm so used to her constant chatter and I will talk and answer her with out realizing I am. She is a high energy loving crazy girl. She also adores my very high energy son.

mr.mc. :

One more question first. dose he get any treats from his food bowl, toys in his cage, ect?

I haven't given him any special treats in the food bowl. His food has some things he seems to enjoy more than others. I could pay attention to what he seems to like the best. He loves his millet and that's what I've been trying with so far. He likes his veggies, but they go into a separate food bowl. Likes the treat sticks, a fruit blend. Don't give them to him constantly because he will just eat that until it's gone.

He has lots of toys. Didn't really start playing with them until I got the new cage. Likes the wood chews the best, but plays with all of them now. I try to add something new at least every week.​

Back
Top Bottom