1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Atlantians: What do you feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AuroraSprings, Jan 27, 2012.

1. AuroraSprings

AuroraSprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I hunted and didn't really find any info to answer my questions.

For those in the Atlanta-ish area (Central GA to B'Ham, Al to Columbia, SC, to Chattanooga, TN)

What do you feed your birds?
    Do you have a mixed flock of chickens, ducks, geese, etc?
    If you don't mind me asking, what's the "going rate"?

I just moved to the area and I thought North AL had crappy choices. WOW, there is NOTHING over in NW GA. The feed stores here carry a product made in Guntersville, AL - hmm, I used to sail around near that plant on the lake- which I think is bizarre.

I want a feed that:

-Has as little soy as possible, but some is okay (just not ingredient #1 or #2)
    -Has no meat by-products. I know it's fine for ducks and chickens, but geese!? It's like feeding my horse pizza, yuk.
    -Is from a local mill.
    -Is a 15%-16% layer pellet

This doesn't seem like a tall order, but apparently its unthinkable here. I thought I'd hit gold when I found Flint River Mills, but then I noticed their layer pellets have meat in them. Their game bird conditioner looked good (love the probiotics in it) until I saw how little calcium is in there, plus I can't imagine the price on it.

Anyone have some recommendations?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by