Atrophied leg with pictures--need suggestions for treatment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HootsMom, Oct 15, 2015.

1. HootsMom

HootsMom New Egg

Mar 6, 2015
    My rooster has a leg that has atrophied and he is able to stand on it but when he walks it appears to give out or it hurts him. Not sure which. He has no obvious injury or wounds and I'm able to manipulate his leg through the full range of motion.
    I've had him separated from the hens for about 5-days but it doesn't seem any better. His appetite is great and he doesn't appear to be in pain.
    I'm wondering if it's his hip? Maybe he sprained something when hopping down from his roost. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. HootsMom

HootsMom New Egg

Mar 6, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. Naliez

Naliez Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2015
    Has he been vaccinated for Mareks?

4. Naliez

May 7, 2015
    Have you checked for bumble foot? Can you feel warmth or swelling in either leg?

5. HootsMom

HootsMom New Egg

Mar 6, 2015

He hasn't been vaccinated. I'll have to look into what bumble foot is. No discrepancy in temperature between legs as of yesterday. Originally I thought the injured leg was the larger one but after watching him trying to walk, it was the smaller one that was giving him problems.

6. HootsMom

HootsMom New Egg

Mar 6, 2015
    Both feet look the same, no wounds on pads, toes, etc. Both legs are definitely warm.

7. Naliez

May 7, 2015
    Try this.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
    I think the Mareks possibility is kind of a worst case scenario, but I'd look into it, especially if he's been favoring one leg enough to cause atrophy. It could be as simple as a sprain or some kind of infection requiring antibiotics. I haven't had enough experience with either to feel comfortable recommending any sort of treatment to you, but there's a ton of people on here who DO have experience with treating an injured/sick chicken. Hopefully, they can answer your post with more help than I! Good luck and keep us posted!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by