Attaching corrugated plastic roofing material to chain link

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Anny, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    My run is made of a chain link dog run that is 6 feet tall. I was thinking about adding a covering to keep out rain/snow and help keep the chicken in and other things out.

I like the idea of using the clear corrugated plastic roofing material, you know that wavy stuff. I like how it looks, plus it will allow light in and such (the run is in a pretty shady area)

I was just wondering how one would go about attaching that style of roof to the chain link fence?

Any ideas, tips, advice?

Or should I use something else?

Has anyone done this before? (if you have could you post picture!)

2. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I'm interested in this, too. I'd like to cover my run with it because we get SO much rain here in Florida. I was thinking of (my husband) drilling holes and using wire to "weave" it on...but that seems labor intensive, for sure!

3. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    I also have a chainlink fence for a run. I thought about covering but decided to leave it open so that it would get wet.

The chickens seem to enjoy being in a light rain and a heavy rain washes the poop away.

4. alalele

alalele Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Livingston Parish, LA
    Maybe this link will help. http://www.optionsplus.com/dogkennelsroofing.htm

It
    shows pictures with corregated plastic roofing, both flat and sloped.
    Here is a link that shows even better pictures.. http://www.economykennels.com/slopedkennelroof.htm

I
    decided to go with the SLOPED idea and went to the local fence company and bought parts that were cheaper then ordering online separately or a kit. The 1 3/8 rails were .85cents a foot. The clamps were 1.05 a piece. This was all far cheaper then at HD or Lowes, but I forgot to get the 2" galvanized carriage bolts & nuts from them and had to get them from HD and they cost about $25 bucks for only 25.. ouch!

My kennel is 5x10, so I made riser bars that attached with end rail clamps and create a sloped roof. The picture online shows 2 kennels attached side by side. I decided that I wanted the sloped roof on the long side with the rain to run off behind the kennel and the rails run the 10 foot length instead. I also only used 2 and figured I could add more later if neccessary. I might add one more section in the middle if I'm going to put up a hard roof, right now it's only a tarp.

I had the riser bars cut in 1 foot and 2 foot peices (this can be whatever length or height you want but you will need matching pairs of the rail risers for each side of the kennel. My kennel is originally from a kit I got at HD or Lowes years ago and it assembles with the END RAIL CLAMPS (the same thing they use at the website I was refering to). I didn't know the name of them but did research online till I found pictures of them. The end rail clamps (actually the fencing supply store called them "gate brace clamps" but I identified them from a book they had) attach to the top bar & riser and also at the end of the riser bar and a 10 foot section of the same 1 3/8 rails.

That may sound confusing, but if you look at the pictures I hope you will figure it out. I'll post pictures later is if will help, but will have to take some.

So far I haven't put up any solid roofing but secured an old 12x12 piece of tarp over it and when it rains it rolls down the back side. It's worked out really good and protects a fan (from rain) that I have hanging inside the kennel. I'm planning to get a new 10x10 and close in the upper sides with hardware cloth and also wrap the bottom part of the kennel with the hardware cloth.

I'd enjoy seeing your adapted kennels because mine is still in progress.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  5. Jaybr

Jaybr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Matoaca, VA
    I used spare panels to enclose the top. This picture is when I first set it up, i added a heavy canvas tarp to stretched over the roof this past weekend. I used welded wire to enclose the ends. It's not pretty, but I had all the kennel panels laying around so it didn't cost me anything.

[​IMG]

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think yours looks great!

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We made a wood frame around the top of the run. It has 2x4's running across from side to side. Those rest on the kennel panels to hold it up.
    [​IMG]

8. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    So, FarmerKitty - do you just have the 2 x 4s laying on top of the kennel and then the 'box' on top of them?

Maybe I could just lay the 2 x 4s on top and then attach the corrugated panels to them??? It could still be easily removed.

hmmmmm ... I'm going to have to give this some serious thought. [​IMG]

9. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The cross boards are laying on top of the fence. The 1x6's go around the fence with the top end lining up with the cross board's top end.

As I'm thinking the 1x6 on the end you see in the pic is the high point. Then it's down to a 2x4 for the rest so there is a small slope for the rain and snow to go off.

The roofing panels are attached to the wooden frame.

10. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    you could drill small holes at the edges of the roofing and either zip tie or wire the panels on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by