Attaching Ribbed Roof Panels

ChickenJoanie

Hatching
May 2, 2018
Hello all. I've taken on the task of building my own chicken run, which you would find amazing if you knew me :D (no carpenter skills). I started last weekend. I have the foundation/walls all standing and I'm staring at the roof and thinking I would like to really predator-proof it, so thinking about screwing in some well-fit plywood up there and throwing some ribbed roof panels on top of that. I've never installed those but googling them, it looks like you normally attach to something called purlins.

Do I have to have those or can I screw those panels directly into the plywood? I have about a foot slope from front to back and just trying to figure out the best way to do my roof... but hate to spend more $$ if I don't have to (but I will if I need them). Thanks!

Last edited:
pearling dead wood will save you money v.s. plywood. The pearling mounts should be no more than 36" spaced and anchored well. When you go to put on the roofing material, drill holes in the peak of the tin and use nails that are ribbed and have neo-poring washers. Tie strap your roof. Once it is all put together, it becomes a giant parachute for collecting high winds.
There are good examples here as well:
Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
welcome-1.gif

So please pardon my ignorance but "pearling dead wood"? I have googled the term but nothing coming up to do with building. Also.. you said, "it becomes a giant parachute for collecting high winds." This doesn't sound like something I want. Am I going about this wrong?

So please pardon my ignorance but "pearling dead wood"? I have googled the term but nothing coming up to do with building. Also.. you said, "it becomes a giant parachute for collecting high winds." This doesn't sound like something I want. Am I going about this wrong?
Dead wood is a carpenter slang term for something solid to anchor to. Parachute in high winds or calling it a plane wing, is natural. Building straps will keep that from happening. We live in Fl. Hurricane alley. Everything is plated and strapped down. My barn has pearling 2X4's/corrugated tin roofing that is strapped down. 30 years now. It survived Hurricanes Irma, Charlie, Jean, Frances..
Just build it right, build it tough. Build it once.

Purlins are the framing members installed to attach metal or poly roofing panels.

Depending on your climate, make sure you have sufficient support for snow load.
If metal roofing, might want some insulation under roof to deter condensation from dripping down into coop.

Last edited:
Purlins are the framing members installed to attach metal or poly roofing panels.

Depending on your climate, make sure you have sufficient support for snow load.
If metal roofing, might want some insulation under roof to deter condensation from dripping down into coop.
X2

If you get any kind of snow load... just make the roof steeper so the snow will always slide right off and you don't have to worry about that extra weight on the roof.

I used mostly slightly rotted wood to build my duck coop... since. .. it was free! Anyway, I just made the roof super steep, and it has been great for I think 5 years now.

I don't get hurricans, but I do get strong wind and occasional big gusts and it has still held up.

My front wall was made with good solid (not rotted) wood and I think that helps to stabilize the entire structure.

For my roof I just made a frame, and screwed the metal roof to the frame.

Anyway, to make it more clear, open the link below.. I am talking about the duck coop I built.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/alaskans-smaller-coops.66334/

Back
Top Bottom