Attack by a coyote wounded eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Urban Chicken, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Urban Chicken

Urban Chicken New Egg

Sep 10, 2012
    One of my hens was killed by a coyote this morning and her only companion in the flock was the Silkie roo from her brood. He was immobilized when I found him seconds later. Thought he wasn't long for the world when I noticed the hen near the fence. Decapitated. Went on to look for the rest of the flock and left the roo there.
    The coyote was still stalking back and forth on the other side of my 7' chain link fence participating in a face off with my terrier/collie mix who was going nuts on my side. I went back to find the roo still alive, with no broken neck! Looks like he did take it in the eye with a coyote tooth. Poor fella is in a lot of pain. Any ideas?
    Have separated him and given him a place to recoup. I dont see any blood on him except for a small puncture wound on the scalp on the opposite side of his head. Put some hydrogen peroxide on it, but clueless what to do about the eye. Pretty sure it's punctured, so wondering what a can do to clean that before an infection starts. Any ideas?

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I would just put some antibiotic ointment on the eye and puncture. Rinse the eye with vetericyn first if you have some. Make sure the ointment doesn't have any "-caine" ingredients, chickens can't have topical numbing agents. Is her eating and drinking?

3. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    Speaking strictly from my personal experience. You will want to keep him in a safe place to rehab/heal up. You can put Vetericyn on the wounds that you have cleaned up. It is a topical antibacterial that can be used in the eyes as well.You can pick up at a farm/Ag supply store. Check by smelling the wounds daily for infection. If you smell any off orders, treat again and get some Duramycin-10 powder (was told its the same stuff as Tylan) and ad to water. The breakdown is 3/4 tsp per quart. Breakdown further to mix smaller amounts daily for up to 7 days. Make sure to check under wings too. My girl Rocky aka Rock Star survived a terrible dog attack and is now at the top of the pecking order. Good luck. I am sure more help is on the way.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Duramycin10 is not the same as Tylan--it is tetracycline. Make sure you keep the puncture wound open with peroxide, then neosporin for up to 3 days, then let it close. The reason is after treating countless puncture wounds from dog/cat/raccoon bites on my pets is that they WILL abscess unless kept open. Normally peroxide prevents healing, and only should be used once, but this is a good time to use it because puncture wounds have a habit of scabbing over. On day 3 you can let it close.

5. Urban Chicken

Urban Chicken New Egg

Sep 10, 2012
    He's just starting to drink water, but only when helped or coaxed. Tries nibbling at some crumbles but seems really out of it. I was hoping it was shock and he'd recover, but I think the eye issue, not having sight in one, is throwing him off and he won't move around. He's slight better than yesterday when the incident occurred, not sure exactly what happened since I didn't see it, but he doesn't look good. Where does one find vericyn?

6. Urban Chicken

Urban Chicken New Egg

Sep 10, 2012
    Thank you for your reply. I'm almost wondering if I should let nature take its course on this one. If he encountered something more to his skull, like a fracture, he could have brain damage, which is kind of what it looks like at this point. Won't move around much, haven't seen him walk yet. Still really wobbly. Weirdest thing, is there was no blood anywhere, except a drop on his beak. I guess that wouldn't make a difference if there were internal injuries from the attack. I'll wait another day and see where he's at. He did wake up bright and early and start crowing, so I guess that is a good sign. Poor guy!

7. Urban Chicken

Urban Chicken New Egg

Sep 10, 2012
    Thank you! I'll check into those medicines and see if I can find them anywhere.

8. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    Well sorry that it is not going very well with him. As I mentioned, I give my experiences as food for thought. I was told by the "chicken guy" at the Ag supply store that the antibiotic was the same as the Tylan. And I have heard it is best to go with a less aggressive form so as not to build up immunities to them. It has worked on my girl, but that was for an internal infection. I am going to do some research on that. As far as the topical antibacterial, I got mine at the Ag supplies. Google or check the phone book & call around to find what you need. All you can do is what you can along with some TLC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by