Attack by red-tailed hawk

SammyLee

Chirping
Jun 19, 2016
Keeseville, NY
My flock was attacked by what I think is a juvenile red-tailed hawk. Everyone was quite frightened, but he only managed to injure one pullet. That pullet, Viva, had her side ripped open just under her wing, kind of in the armpit I guess. It was about 3 to 4 inches long and probably a good part of an inch deep. I could see a rib. She was in shock, but it wasn't bleeding much, wasn't dirty and didn't seem to have damaged any vitals. She's alive and somewhat spunky, so I cleaned it up with Colloidal Silver and then stitched the skin together the best I could. I put triple anti-biotic ointment on some gauze and then wrapped that gauze on her. She's now in a bunny kennel inside the house where she'll be warm with water available. I don't have a poultry-knowledgable vet nearby, so I do what I can and when it looks too bad I put my animals down myself. So, what I'm asking here is, any suggestions on how to better take care of Viva? Have I done everything I can, or have I missed something? I'll take some pictures tomorrow when I change her dressings and post them for consideration.

Wow! You were lucky it was a juvenile otherwise you likely would not have Viva with you.
Sounds to me like you have done a good job in care. I think she will do very well under your care, chickens are almost bomb proof!
thumbsup.gif
Just keep a close eye for infection. I am also a 'natural' chicken keeper and prefer not to give antibiotics other than the Neosporin you have on the wound. Keep us posted...

Wow! You were lucky it was a juvenile otherwise you likely would not have Viva with you.
Sounds to me like you have done a good job in care. I think she will do very well under your care, chickens are almost bomb proof!
thumbsup.gif
Just keep a close eye for infection. I am also a 'natural' chicken keeper and prefer not to give antibiotics other than the Neosporin you have on the wound. Keep us posted...
Glad to hear I seem to be caring for her well. I came home from work today and Viva seems just as lively as yesterday, however she hasn't drunk any water even though it is easily available. Perhaps I could feed her a juicy food such as tomato or an orange to help get liquids in her?

Thank you.

I have read that chickens should not be given citrus fruits/juices ? why. Anyway, if you are worried about her liquid intake mix some of her pelleted/crumbled food with water to make a fairly moist mash. You could also add vitamin supplements and brewers yeast if you wish. I find a good, moist mash usually does the trick. Give tomatoes in moderation...too much of a good thing can cause diarrhea.....
smile.png

I have read that chickens should not be given citrus fruits/juices ? why. Anyway, if you are worried about her liquid intake mix some of her pelleted/crumbled food with water to make a fairly moist mash. You could also add vitamin supplements and brewers yeast if you wish. I find a good, moist mash usually does the trick. Give tomatoes in moderation...too much of a good thing can cause diarrhea.....
smile.png
She won't eat either, but I have taken to watering her by dropper, which she accepts. She's still looking okay. The first picture is of her after having her dressing changed last night. The second is during the change. It doesn't fully illustrate how horrid the hole was, basically imagine all the exposed skin in the picture as just a hole, but I didn't really think to take pictures before stitching her up due to the urgency of the situation. The feathers to the lower left are just covered with dry blood, not part of the wound.

Offer her some watery feed, and add a bit of yogurt and raw or cooked egg. SaveAChick or other brands of vitamins and electrolytes can be added to the water for a few days until she is doing better. Hopefully she has no internal injuries, nut she may have been suffering from shock. As long as she starts eating and drinking, is alert and can get around, she may recover well. I had a 5 year old polish hen lose her head to a couple of hawks who had been around all day long one summer day this year. Mostly chicks and bantams are at risk with hawks, but my girl only could see out of one eye. Sorry for your loss.

She is still refusing to eat or drink on her own, however, she is very alert and curious. She also likes to peck at my nails. There is extensive bruising on her side and her poop is very green with white caps. Normally, when I cull a cockerel, I keep them without feed for only 24 hours before slaughter and they have no solid feces by culling time, so I don't have a clue as to how she is still dropping solids since she hasn't eaten anything in 3 days. Perhaps her metabolism is super slowed due to the trauma? She's spunky otherwise, though.

I had a pullet suffer a large tear to the skin on her breast and abdomen and she was shocky (understandably) for several days afterward. Your hen's alertness and activity are good signs. I imagine that my appetite probably wouldn't be great, either, after that kind of injury...I'd offer the vitamins and electrolytes @Eggcessive mentioned, and hopefully she'll feel like eating and drinking more soon. Is it possible she's drinking now but not enough for it to be perceptible?

Lucky girl to have survived. Hope she has a speedy recovery.

I had a pullet suffer a large tear to the skin on her breast and abdomen and she was shocky (understandably) for several days afterward. Your hen's alertness and activity are good signs. I imagine that my appetite probably wouldn't be great, either, after that kind of injury...I'd offer the vitamins and electrolytes @Eggcessive mentioned, and hopefully she'll feel like eating and drinking more soon. Is it possible she's drinking now but not enough for it to be perceptible?

Lucky girl to have survived. Hope she has a speedy recovery.
She's being monitored all day but is never observed going to the water bowl. She doesn't walk around much, but she will if pestered by a dog or cat. When I pick her up she has flapped both her wings, though obviously much less on the injured side. Is the green poo an okay thing? I've never seen it so green before especially when she hasn't eaten any greens for days.

Back
Top Bottom