Attack by rooster, raccoon, cat? Or just molting.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by megancarleigh, Oct 16, 2015.

1. megancarleigh

megancarleigh Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2015
    SW Florida
    Walking out to my coop seeing a large pile of feathers on the ground, just thought oops one down. (I have free range chickens during the day) I noticed what feathers to the young hen I walked around and there she was just doing her normal thing but when I tried to catch her I noticed she had a gimp. I have a outdoor cat which is known to chase the chickens for fun but never to attack, we have a pack of raccoons that we are quickly ridding of (caught and killed 5 already), and I have a large black copper maran rooster that is quite large compared to the young hen around 6 months old. Just wondering what it could be? I doctored her up because she was bleeding and gave small amount of antibiotics just in case she got a puncture or scratch anywhere that I missed. Photos to follow.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If she was bleeding, something attacked. Raccoon and cat are possibilities as is opossum, weasel, dog, hawk, etc..

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by