Attack by rooster - what could have caused it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AshtinNicci, Apr 17, 2017.

1. AshtinNicci

AshtinNicci Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    Florida
    Heya, everyone!

So, it is official! I had my first attack by mister Brutus today in a LONG time. Honestly, I am not sure what could have provoked him to do so.

I am the treat-giver, basically. I feed them, give them water, clean their little nesting area, and so forth. Wherever I go, they started following. Brutus usually follows me the most. He will coming following behind me and then will wait when I turn around. I've noticed when he realizes I don't have a treat, he will either keep following a little, or he will just go away.

Well, about an hour ago, I walked out of the house to go check on the eggs my hen has been sitting on to make sure they were still there. My siblings like to sneak the eggs for breakfast, but since we have so many eggs, I figured I would let her sit on them. Anyways, here comes Brutus. The hen, Porcia, was hiding away in a little bush we have.

As I stop and turn around, I held my hands up to show I didn't have treats. He did't do anything and just stood there. When I started moving to turn away, here he came. He ran straight for me and got me good. I have two scratches on the back of my leg. He has never jumped this close to me or ran into me as roughly as he did. The last time he attacked me was a few months ago when I walked past him to go up the porch steps (he got me in the back of my leg then too) and had my back turned.

Needless to say, I was shocked. I mean, I always hold my hands up when I have no treats and he usually leaves. I felt like it was coming, because I noticed how close he was trailing behind me when I was walking. He was acting a little odd beforehand, and the way he stood before he attacked was weird too. I stomped at him when he tried again and managed to scare him off

Is there a reason why? Is it maybe because he thought his hen was in danger?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls BYC Fan Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    How old he is?And what breed is he?

It could have simply been because he didnt want you close to his sitting girl,I have heard of roosters doing this.

First off if he is under a year it could be because he is young and resting you,and cockers are very easyily triggered, lots of roosters are.If he is older then a year,it could be do to spring time excitment,roosters get more tense and aggressive during spring.But him attacking you isnt ok,you can try restraining him,but there is a good chance there wont be any effect.If all goes wrong,cull him or give him to someoen to eat.

I know my rooster has gotten the worst habits ever that he had as a youngster.He rapes hens,and even ducks,male or female.And he started this new thing where he bites,and it hurts.He was easily restarined and readily did it to me,im the leader,so ne yelling and shoving him a couple of times,fixed him,he makes a great pet besides that.

Seeing as your THE care taker so he sees you as just another memebr of your flock,try showing him your the boss,and like I said if it doesnt work best thing to do is eat em'.

4. AshtinNicci

AshtinNicci Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    Florida

He is definitely over a year old, but I believe he is a mixed breed (just not sure of what he is mixed between, exactly)

Him and I never had a problem until a year ago when I was cleaning the chicken coop. I picked up a pine cone and he jumped at my arm into me. That was the first time he ever attacked me. Ever since then, he would attack me more frequently, stop for a certain period of time, then start up again.

The hen ran into the far bushes, which was about a few feet away from me. She ran from one of my siblings who got too close for comfort. I walked around the side of the house away from the bush, and he just comes at me. I mean, besides his really watchful behavior (he was watching me really intently), I haven't ever had him run at me like that. The other times he would just jump on me because he would be really close. The attack itself wad a lot more intense than the others and he kicked his legs at me really hard, so I wasn't sure if maybe he felt I threatened his hen, or if he didn't like how I moved.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    SPRING HORMONES. It's been the demise of a few roosters here.

6. AshtinNicci

AshtinNicci Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    Florida
    1 person likes this.
  7. starrmar006

starrmar006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2017
    Like @junebuggena said SPRING HORMONES and he could have seen you as a threat? My rooster attacks me all the time, even if it is just to get them more feed or water!

8. AshtinNicci

AshtinNicci Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    Florida

My grandfather's rooster gets pretty vicious during Spring, so maybe thag is what is going on with big ol' Brutus.

9. AshtinNicci

AshtinNicci Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    Florida

Roosters are silly knuckleheads aren't they? Like to attack the hands that feed them, even though it is how they are programmed!

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You may want to think seriously about whether or not you want to keep this rooster. Especially if your siblings are little. A rooster attack can cause some damage, and a small child's eyes are at about the right height for a rooster's spurs when he comes flying at you. Besides that, there are plenty of nice roosters to be had, or if you are hatching your own or getting chicks, you could get a cockerel and raise him up right. By that, I don't mean making a pet of him. That's where it seems a lot of roosters go bad. The majority of the "my rooster attacked me" posts are by people who had roosters as pets that "suddenly" got mean. In reality, I think they were showing signs of aggression before the first attack, and their keeper didn't recognize them. The best rooster is one who will move away from you EVERY time you go near him. As suggested in the link Kiki's Girls sent you, you should be able to just walk right through them and they will move away.

I raise chickens for the enjoyment of it, and if I have one that is stealing that joy by being aggressive, I'm not going to keep it. I have a 15-month old granddaughter that was visiting over Easter weekend, and wanted to see the chickens (who, according to her, say "doot-do-doot-do-doooooooo!). I have two roosters that free range with their harems. They both moved away when we came near. I was watching and trying to keep myself between her and them just in case one got bad ideas, but neither did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by