1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

attack ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cacrawford, Mar 31, 2015.

1. cacrawford

cacrawford New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    I purchased two ducklings this time last year to start a mixed flock. I thought I had a boy and a girl but it turned out that I have 2 males. I have 10 hens also. The ducks have a very large area for just them and the chickens free range in the whole yard. Every time I let the ducks out to run around they chase down my hens and start pulling on their feathers and combs. I already know what they want. My question is,
    can I find a home for one of the males and get a female for the other. I can't have an entire flock because I don't have space for all of them.

2. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

actually if you have 1 female they can coexist, they share

3. Sfraker

Sfraker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    My two drakes are way to much for my 7 girls. I have to seperate them to give the girls a break on a regular basis.
    Can you just keep the two drakes seperated from the hens?
    If not I would be afraid that one duck and one drake would not be enough. Usually you will see recomendations of 3-4 ducks per drake. In my experience I need about 6 girls per drake.

4. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

let me explain y i said that

see we have rouens right and 3 to 1 female and 2 to 1 female, 1 really only mates with them and others protect

5. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I think you need to keep your ducks away from your hens and run 2 flocks or get a few females and rehome a male duck. If neither of those are an option you may want to look into rehoming both males and getting sexed female ducks.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  6. Sfraker

Sfraker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    Maybe Rouens are different than other breeds or my boys are just "enthusiastic" [​IMG]
    My Pekin is way too much for his 3 girls and my Buff/Runner mix is way too much for his 4.
    I just ordered 11 females to try to make it easier for the girls.

7. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Yeah, my created does very well with my 5 mixed flock females. I don't think it is the norm to be able to have 1:1 and it work out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by