Attack Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by seminolewind, Dec 12, 2014.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have one Houdan hen who used to be a sweet thing, and one day I picked her up because she loved it and she attacked me! Now if I try to pet her she pecks me. She follows me around and won't go away, and the whole time she makes noises like she's talking to me.

Anyone else have a sweet attack-hen??

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    'Making noises like she's talking to you' --- by any chance have you ever heard something like those noises made by two hens who are posing somewhat threateningly in front of one another, without going into full-on fight pose/mode?

My hens will 'talk it out' most of the time, standing almost side-on to one another from a distance of about a foot and a half, making odd noises that are quiet, pretty low-pitched and sometimes sound like swear words. It's some kind of having a serious word about things that leads to one hen deciding she will show deference and just walking off with no fight happening. (My banty hens apparently talk a real good tough talk against the bigger hens, since they always seem to win the conversation.)

Three hens I have (that I intended to cull years ago for various faults, didn't get around to it), have developed endocrine issues which are clearly genetic in basis (explains so many of the things I never liked about their family line, that one was into and almost completely out of my flock far more rapidly than most)... Anyway, these sisters now have a lot of rooster style feathering (in the wrong places and of the wrong types) and make a lot of weird, complicated noises I've never heard any chook, male or female, ever make before. They have also become more aggressive, but not by much. They're still laying regularly. They were always on the cull list, they're the last of their family line since I culled all the rest; I kept them only for eggs while traveling, but now they're an ongoing experiment, lol, I have a lot of theories to explore with them.

Long story short, I think your hen possibly has a serious endocrine issue which is affecting her mentally, and her talking to you is actually her trying to have a serious word with you.

Combined aggression and affection showing up in a chook that's never done that before is a bit of a serious alteration. My commercial layer hens were prone to that sort of thing until treated for Pica but they were trying to eat everything, it wasn't a dominance behavior when they pecked people.

Best wishes.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Thanks. As sweet as she is, the pecking is odd. The noises she makes is not like a hen's angry noises. The best I can describe it is conversation. I have a Polish who jumps on my chair several times a year and talks, it sounds like she's telling me her woes and I just keep saying "Oh really?".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by