Attack of the RIR Starring Bo Jangles

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beverlybirdd, Sep 1, 2009.

1. beverlybirdd

beverlybirdd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2009
    I hatched Bo Jangles myself in the calssroom and he is now about 4 1/2 months old. This past week he has started to challenge me when I go into the fenced in coup. I have 3 hens, wonderful ladies. I love the rooster as he is beautiful and I love the crowing. I saw on here to try and grab and hold him until he gives up. Well, I tried and he is too much bird to get a hold of and he ended up getting me in the chest! Do I just kick him when he tries, maybe spray a water bottle? If I do, is there any hope he will quit trying to attack me. I am in the coup every day, 1-2 times a day, with treats. If nothing works, he will have to be dinner. Not even sure how I will get a hold of him to do that either! Any advice would be helpful to be able to keep this guy.

2. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    we named ours earl.. earl has to die by the dixie chicks. he was horrible and my husband and i have marks all over to prove it..so husband kept grabbing him and holding him upside down.. and in his arms for about 10 min each time several times a day while i would touch him.. for about 3 weeks.. he finally calmed down and as he came out of the coop down the ramp he would do his dance and i stuck my hand out very gingerly and he allowed me to pet his chest.. then he ran down the ramp and back up dancing again . i was able to pet him again and again.. so it has been about a month now and i can go into the coop and pet him top to bottom with no problem.. but at first i flinched ALOT just waiting to get hurt.. but he has changed dramatically. i don't know if it was the holding or him being able to mate with the hens now.. but whatever it is he is a very nice roo and very good to his hens.. good luck and try not to give up..

3. beverlybirdd

beverlybirdd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2009
    Bo Jangles has started mating with the hens. He does it while I am in the coup. I also noticed that out of the 3 there is one that he cannot ,or rather she will not let him, breed with. She has always been the leader of the group and still friendly with me. She also is not laying eggs while the other two are. Not sure if her dominance is making him more aggressive or not. Any suggestions on how to grab him? I start to go toward him and he runs, when cornered the wings start flapping and he starts flying feet first...ouch! So he ends up "winning" the dominance game again.

4. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    we sit on a step or chair and when he came close we grabbed him.. wings and feet flying but didnt let go.. after he was held against our side like a foot ball.. hubby grabbed his legs and flipped him upside down.. till he relaxed.. some of the times he was just tucked in like a foot ball and held tight so his wings were against his side and we would just sit with him like that.. are you alone? it works easier with two people .. one to sneak up from behind and the other to distract him from the front. we also petted him alot while we held him.. from his crop to the top of his head.. he squirmed alot at first be we didn't let him go..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by