Attack of the Snack-Hungry Hen...AAACCKK!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HenSpa, Oct 19, 2008.

1. HenSpa

HenSpa Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay. So my girls like their snacks. I was a little later than usual today going out with treats, and was interested to see if my Dominiquer was continuing to improved in her health (she was sick a couple of days ago, not eating; Cocci; been on antibiotics).

I slide back the roof of my coop (have a double-decker HenSpa) and she peers up at me from the very bottom level. She sees the food in my hand while I'm still sliding the roof back, takes one hop on the ladder and flies into my neck/chest outside of the coop, lightning fast!! My hands are full and I'm struggling to grab her so she won't get eaten by my dog, plus she startled me badly and I screamed. Pandemonium!

Guess she got her appetite back:) She scarfed an entire piece of bread within 2 minutes. Any funny snack stories from you all about food-aggressive chickens?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Every last one of ours are like that. They see one of us coming with the red tray and they all go to the corner where the door opens - we have to kick them back to get in to put it down. Of course if it's mashed potatoes they all look like this:

[​IMG]

3. HenSpa

LOL...looks like my yogurt runs out to the coop. I try to watch them for a minute until the stuff starts flying everywhere. Today, they ate congealed cheese grits and bread. Sounds bad to us, but OH BOY to them.[​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My chickens all have their favorite snack:

Hiccups - celery
    Audrey - green beans
    Rice N Beans - pumpkin seeds
    Roadrunner - lettuce
    Cordon Bleu - bananas
    Kojak - apples
    Pot Pie - anything and everything.

My chicks just don't care what it is as long as they can eat it.

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I have to watch out for Butterscotch and Woo,, they will jump out of the tree into the plate of goodies I'm carrying in a heart beat.

6. HenSpa

Quote:I just hope Nugget never jumps on that plate!! I saw his picture (he's a wooly mammoth, not a chicken), and read his skunk debunk story. HILARIOUS!

I'm a freelance writer. You, too?

7. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Oh yeah, just yesterday I was taking two plates of "leftovers" out for the Delightful Dozen. Plain yogurt, salad greens that were just a bit discolored but the family won't eat, and cottage cheese. The dogs were at my heels, and as I carried both plates waitress style on one arm, I unlocked the run and then the gang (not the DD at that point) tried to rush the door to escape! Both plates went flying - it was not time for them to be out - we were going to be gone for part of the day and they needed to stay in until we returned! LOL - rescooped the now dirty food and flung it in to them! Close the door and go rinse off my hands and arms!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by