Attack on Big Daddy, either coyote or dog...Fussy and Bomi gone

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thndrdancr, Oct 30, 2009.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    I came home to all the chickens in hiding, our handyman had called and said while we were away and he was inside workin, something came after the chickens.

He went out to leave and it was dead quiet, said he never heard anything from inside but he had power tools going. He had found Big Daddy out by the pond lying at the edge, covered in mud and feathers, dying. He brought him in for me and put him in a box.

We rushed home, his beatiful tail is missing and he is in shock. I rinsed his wounds really well with saline solution and then used some iodine. He has his skin totally missing about the size of a quarter in one place by his wing, higher up on his back, the feathers are all gone, the tail has some skin rips, etc. He is in a box in the warm dark bathroom on a blanket, shivering uncontrollably.

I know they say to give aspirin, but how do you get that down them? He needs it so bad, poor guy, any suggestions on what else I can do for him?

Also my beautiful sweet Fussy is gone. I am heartbroken. And my little silkie hen, Abominable, or Bomi for short. It was obvious she had called for him, and he came running to her aid, Bomi was his favorite girl.
    He fought valiantly, there is a trail of feathers from the coop, for at least 120 feet. Poor guy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wound looks even worse now that I have cleaned it up. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  2. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Awwww poor baby. I am sorry for your loss, and his... [​IMG] I dont know any info to help you out. I hope someone answers for you soon.

3. chickon baby

chickon baby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    st charles
    I am so sorry,sending you lottsa hugs.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Can you inject? Start the Penicillin-G asap, the link below will give you some guidance regarding the amounts. Inject in the breast or thigh, but pull back to check for blood first, and be sure you get all air bubbles out of the syringe first. TSC and most feed store will have what you need.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3104622#p3104622

Poor fellow, [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Oh, crap, Jill! I'm so sorry! You've had Fussy for ages, even before Lily. Is Lily okay? Haven't heard you mention her in awhile. Put the aspirin in the waterer and maybe add a touch of honey to counteract the bitter taste.

6. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Lily is in a very hard molt and looks like she was attacked even before anything happened. She crawled out from under some metal roofing in the pole barn when I was calling for her. I was so happy to see her, I brought her in the kitchen and just hugged her and gave her grapes. She didnt want to go back out.

Red is also ok, I dont know how she was fast enuff to avoid anything. Yea, Fussy and Red are almost three years old. But Fussy is my special baby. Didnt see any of her feathers, so I am hoping she is just hiding. I have been going out several times tonite to see if she has shown up. She always wants to be in her bed at night so I am worrying for her, the coyotes are howling somethin fierce.

The guy helping out just called and wondered how Big Daddy is.
    Reported that he found him with his feet straight in the air, and he went down with a heavy heart to check him. He turned him over and the big guy rolled to his belly, but was shaking and shivering like mad. Said that he sure has a newfound respect for that chicken, that it looked like one heck of a fight the boy put up and he is SO young yet. Poor baby.

Thanks for all the sympathy and suggestions, I will try to get some aspirin in him, and all I have for antibiotics is eye dropper oral. Should I even try with that?

7. LizzyJo

LizzyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Aptos CA
    Dog or coyote . . . it will be back.

8. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    He passed away just a bit ago, with the blanket clenched in his beak, as if he was in one last fight.

I hope he tore that darned dog to pieces and it came home crawling. It looked like he got some real licks in, trying to save his sweetie.

Thank you, baby, for saving my girls and providing me with such amusement and eye candy. I really loved you.

[​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I am so very sorry about Big Daddy, my heart goes out to you.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by