Attack rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zigmont, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Zigmont

Zigmont Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Ok, so today was Ziggys first attack on me. I had a rooster years ago who was 25 pounds of pure mean. I hatched him and he was so sweet for several months and then went nuts. I swore I would never have another rooster. Well, as luck would have it, as we were picking out our beautiful guaranteed pullet Dominiques, the sales woman says, " look at that pretty light colored one with the white head. Isn't she pretty!". Great. Ziggy was fine until today. He is about 7/8 months old. Any advise, or do I plan to get rid of him?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/110447_dsc02766.jpg

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

3. ODEY587

ODEY587 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2011
    Dinner!!!

4. Zigmont

Oct 29, 2011
    Thank you aoxa for the link. It was helpful and I will try to become king bird.

5. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    aoxa:

Thank you for sharing this link. I found that we have been doing most things right when it comes to our males, but will adjust in some areas as recommended. We wanted to have positive experiences with our chickens and hoped to keep them as chickens, not feathered humans, as some of them act like they are! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. aoxa

Quote:It really does work! [​IMG] My roo respects me enough to not even try to mate around me. Good luck!

7. aoxa

Quote:Hens are for doting on, roos are for protection/beauty. I don't dote on my boys nearly as much as my girls. The girls ALWAYS get treats first. The boys don't even dare try. My cockerel used to be so greedy, but within the last week, that behaviour has ceased all together.

8. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    The roo can be dinner or you can assert dominance over him. Try picking him up and carrying him around when he attacks. You could also push him to the ground for a couple minutes when he attacks. Both of these methods have worked for me. I hope this helps.

9. Zigmont

Oct 29, 2011
    Thanks for all your help! So far, no more attacks. I have been picking him up every night and every morning as he quiets and he has been ok. I have new 13 week old pullets that he was chasing. When I stepped between them, he would not go after them or try to go by me. I consider that progress! I have to go into the coop every morning to open the slide door to the back area and I to the back area to open the door to the large playpen ( area covered in aviary netting. Hawks..), so respect is a must! I am quite fond of him and hate the idea of sending him to freezer camp. He is beautiful and quite a character. if he gets mean, no one will want him and that will be his fate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by