1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

attack was the stray rotweiller!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by WthrLady, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    It has a coar but no tags.

My game cam has caught him in the wee hours of the morning, and there is fur filled poop piles in my yard that are way tooarge to be coyote.

This morning i awoke to ds yelling Dog! That was our neighbors ancient golden visiting. They didnt k ow be was out. Were he even got the energy to walk 10 acres here, i'll never know.

The coop door was in shreds. Blood and slobber everywhere. I didn't have the baby monitor on last night. The hiss was driving me nuts. Oc.

Old dog was injury free i checked.

Neighbors were mortified. I said i was there to make sure dog was ok and check, first thing they asked was are the chickens ok?!

They too love chickens.

Seems they have been plagued by this mystery rottie.

Birds are fine.

Door repaired.

New ir alerting security camera is up. Nail board is out. Rifle loaded. At least it is nice out tonight.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good luck in eliminating the problem.

3. gawildlife

gawildlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2014
    Hampton, GA
    #4 buck is good for sorting out dog problems.

1 person likes this.
  4. gotthefever

gotthefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2014
    You know what's karazy? I would never kill a wild animal, just being a wild animal. But, Shoot the dog. Bad ole thing. Actually it's not the dog it's the owner...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  5. gawildlife

Nov 3, 2014
    Hampton, GA
    It's both. The breed is notorious for not only this type of behavior but for bring dangerous as well. The owner for being dumb enough to own a dangerous animal and not take proper precautions such as keeping it confined.

6. gotthefever

Oct 6, 2014
    But Rottwilers are "so gentle with children, and good protectors" ??? It's an individual thing, and how it's raised, true?

7. gotthefever

Oct 6, 2014
    double dip, dogs and cats could come and go all day long...my electric on the run shocked my poor coonhound twice. She doesn't want to even go outside... poor thing.

It was not expensive or complicated, and I have peace of mind, except for weasels, still have to bait that line....

And GA wildlife (I have aa baby monitor too, and figuring how to rig the security cam, ha!)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  8. gawildlife

Nov 3, 2014
    Hampton, GA
    Rotties can be gentle BUT the breed and many others has genetic tendencies that first require responsible breeding and second responsible ownership. In other words temperment testing and strong disciplinary training. Sadly in many cases both are lacking to the point that some breeds are now considered dangerous.
    I'm the last person to ever support breed bans or try to tell others what they can and can't own but there are certain breeds and phenotypes that I will shoot on sight in my yard. Mostly due to stupid humans.

9. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    The problem with Rotties is the same problem as there is with AmStaffs, Dobermans, etc - they're seen as toughguy dogs. Because of this, there are a ton of poorly bred dogs out there - or dogs bred to be aggressive, dogs bred for fighting, etc. The dog's bloodline becomes very important - and dogs from good lines are very different than dogs from bad lines.

Put some electric fence on your coop - there's nothing more effective at deterring dogs. Dogs get shocked once or twice and realize it's not worth it - these sort of situations where electric is protecting an actual physical barrier are where it works best.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Doesn't matter whether the breed can be bad or good. If it's on someone's property other than its owner's, it's a predator, especially since it has slaughtered birds. My friend Cetawin here on BYC has killed three, count 'em, THREE of one neighbor's Rottweilers. One was actually shot by a sheriff's deputy with one of her birds in its mouth, caught in the act, after it killed several birds (and had to endure being attacked by 7 roosters at once) and the deputy delivered the dead dog to the owner, who was livid, of course, denied his dog did anything (why do they always play dumb??). They just keep getting one after the other and never keep them contained and they end up at her place, threatening either members of her family or her birds and they are swiftly taken out.

A Rottweiler is a big, powerful dog and should NEVER be allowed to roam loose, if for no other reason than because many people are terribly frightened of dogs and should not have to experience meeting up with a loose one on their own property.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by