Attack wound or ear infection

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeska180, Mar 23, 2013.

1. jeska180

jeska180 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Last week there was a weasel attack in my coop. None of the hens died but a few are banged up. This girl had a bite wound, after a few days her cheek got swollen. Today I soaked the scab, trimmed the feathers and opened the abscess with about a tsp of puss draining out. Turns out the scab is covering her ear hole and their is no wound to be seen. Either way I cleaned up all the feathers and gave some polysporin ear drops, but now I dont know where to go from here. Oral antibiotics? Is this caused by the weasel? Any ideas...
    [​IMG]swollen
    [​IMG]scab
    [​IMG]clean

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Ouch, that was swollen! It is most likely from a bite wound. Keep using the polysporin ear drops. If there are more signs of infection, penicillin is the antibiotic most commonly recommended for bites. I have only given it as a shot. I purchased the injectable antibiotic at the farm store in section for large farm animals.

3. jeska180

jeska180 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Update, incase anyones interested...
    After 5 days of tetracycline everyone seem much better, and her swollen ear is almost 100%

Thanks for help and and your worry :)

Jess

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by