Attack

Suzzyq

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 27, 2015
is it possible chickens will turn on their roost buddies? I awoke this morning to one of my girls dead. She looked as though she had been brutally attacked. My grandson heard her screaming at 2 am, but didn’t see anything. All my girls were locked up. I am devastated.

is it possible chickens will turn on their roost buddies? I awoke this morning to one of my girls dead. She looked as though she had been brutally attacked. My grandson heard her screaming at 2 am, but didn’t see anything. All my girls were locked up. I am devastated.
While that can happen, it would be necessary to see your actual set up to determine if being "locked up" truly meant protected from predation. Often times we perceive our setups as being predator resistant or predator proof when they are not. If you have not yet disposed of the bird and are comfortable doing so, seeing photos of the damage can also be very helpful in determining the culprit

I am so sorry for your loss!

There are however several predators that can force their way into a coop, and then leave the coop again after they have eaten.

Chickens can turn cannibal... but I don't think it is likely to have happened in the middle of the night.

:hugs

Definately a preditor. Not sure what your coop looks like but a weasel can fit though a mouse sized hole. Other night time mauriders are racoon, opossum and they need a much bigger hole.
Putting up a trail camera is very helpfull to know just what you have around your coop when you are not looking.
I have also used a baby monitor to help detect something in my coop that shouldent be.
I hope you dont loose any more.
Welcome to life with chickens, and welcome to the backyard!

Back
Top Bottom