Attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Suzzyq, May 25, 2019.

1. Suzzyq

Suzzyq In the Brooder

Oct 27, 2015
    is it possible chickens will turn on their roost buddies? I awoke this morning to one of my girls dead. She looked as though she had been brutally attacked. My grandson heard her screaming at 2 am, but didn’t see anything. All my girls were locked up. I am devastated.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    While that can happen, it would be necessary to see your actual set up to determine if being "locked up" truly meant protected from predation. Often times we perceive our setups as being predator resistant or predator proof when they are not. If you have not yet disposed of the bird and are comfortable doing so, seeing photos of the damage can also be very helpful in determining the culprit

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I am so sorry for your loss!

There are however several predators that can force their way into a coop, and then leave the coop again after they have eaten.

Chickens can turn cannibal... but I don't think it is likely to have happened in the middle of the night.

:hugs

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    At 2 AM ? You are dealing with a predator, and be prepared because it will be back. Fortify your coop.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I agree with the above. You have a predator. Chickens sleep when it's dark. What kind of injuries did she have?

sourland, BirdsBeesTrees and Shadrach like this.
  6. Definately a preditor. Not sure what your coop looks like but a weasel can fit though a mouse sized hole. Other night time mauriders are racoon, opossum and they need a much bigger hole.
    Putting up a trail camera is very helpfull to know just what you have around your coop when you are not looking.
    I have also used a baby monitor to help detect something in my coop that shouldent be.
    I hope you dont loose any more.
    Welcome to life with chickens, and welcome to the backyard!

BirdsBeesTrees and Shadrach like this.
  7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Can you post pictures of your setup? That would help us to better help you figure out what may have gotten in.

sourland, BirdsBeesTrees and Shadrach like this.
  8. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

HAPPYCHICKENLADY17 Songster

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    SO SORRY.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: