Attacked and now afraid to go into hen house

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by huntersmommy611, Sep 4, 2016.

1. huntersmommy611

huntersmommy611 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    At some point today something got ahold of a few of our girls. I'm not sure what time it was as we were not at home. We got home after dark to find the girls scattered throughout the yard. They usually go into their house at dusk and we go to close them in. They almost refused to go into the hen house tonight. They wanted to stay in the run. Does this mean that whatever got a hold of them did it inside their hen house? I can't figure out what would make them afraid of their house. They girls are all over a year old. Any advice would help! Thanks in advance

2. hnichols

hnichols Out Of The Brooder

I had this issue once- the chickens had been fine for ages then some nights they would be scarred to go into their coop. I would go and check and nothing in there what so ever. Later found out it was a carpet python that would come and steal eggs and eat my poor little pekins. Are you missing any chickens?

3. 235chickens

235chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2015
    With my chickens
    make coop more secure

4. huntersmommy611

Mar 10, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    No missing girls. No signs of snakes. Normal amounts of eggs.

5. hnichols

ok what predetors do you have around your house? i live in australia so could have different circumstances

6. huntersmommy611

Mar 10, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    There have been a few Hawks that have seemed interested. We have possums, black rat snakes, and raccons in the area. I've noticed some really large rats too.

7. hnichols

a hawk probably wouldnt go inside a hen house but if the hens were scattered everywhere when you get home this could be it. I had a huge problem with hawks with chickens missing and such so i have orchard netting all across my pens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by