Attacked by a fox and then pecked 'til bloody by rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by javotte, May 17, 2009.

1. javotte

javotte Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Hi!

Two days ago a fox got to the coop and killed 2 hens, a third one seems to have been shaken but not killed. I took her out of the coop for her to recover. She is bright eyed, does not eat, her pellet are OK but she would rather be left alone. This morning, I thought she might be recovered enough to put her back in the coop. As soon as I left her there, the rooster made a bee line for her and started to violently pluck her, she tried to escape but he chased her and carried on. It lasted only a couple of minutes before I got to her, I thought he had killed her. He was very violent.[​IMG]

What happened? What would explain his behaviour and how can I help her? She is less than 25 weeks old and is quite young. He is also a young cockerel (He does not have his back claws yet) but he is quite aggressive? Is he likely to get worse as he gets older?

Help!

Natalie

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    She probably became the low one in the pecking order by having been out for a while. I understand there is a difference between pecking order and violence. The roo may not understand this, however. I might try once more, and then I am afraid the roo would become soup.

No mean roos allowed here.

3. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    keep her in a serpate cage w/ food and water where she can sitll be viewed but not touched. They have to visually get familiar with each other again and then he should calm down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by