Attacked by a hawk...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by melishkia, Nov 16, 2016.

1. melishkia

melishkia Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2016
    Hello,
    I'm so upset! I was in the kitchen, back door open, and heard a chicken squabble... I ran out to see my dog chasing off a hawk and my little rooster hobbling away. Right after it happened, he was open-mouth breathing (to be expected with a near death attack, right?) and limping. I didn't touch him in case I stressed him out even more but from what I could see, no punctures/bleeding. Now a couple hours later, I'm keeping close tabs on him and he is very lethargic, hiding in corners of the yard. I picked him up this time, he was not stressed actually very calm, and checked around and still do not see any injuries but he is huddled up and closing his eyes. I'm no expert but I think he is breathing slower than normal. I'm thinking about bringing him into the bathroom for the night to keep a close eye on him but I'm pretty worried there is internal damage.

Does anyone have any experience with this or advice?

2. melishkia

May 26, 2016
    by the way, my little rooster is still peeping I have yet to hear him crow but has all his adult feathers. He's about half the size of my adults.

3. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    DO bring him inside. If he has no injuries then what he needs is access to water food and rest. If there are no puncture wounds there is little you can do to treat internal injuries. Make him comfortable and once he has been fed and had a chance for some good drinks let him sleep by making it dark for him. You can keep checking in every couple hours and make sure he is getting enough water. Observation is good to let you see if he is getting better or worse. You can give him some treats like scrambled eggs or unflavored greek yogurt as that will be easy for him to digest. Best wishes!

4. melishkia

May 26, 2016
    Thank you for the reply, he's now set up in the bathroom. I just made him an egg... here's hoping he does well through the night, i'll keep this thread updated.

5. ChickenChaser9

Feb 3, 2016
    Very good. It might take a few days but if he is a hearty breed he has a very good chance of recovering.

6. melishkia

May 26, 2016
    Little Q-Tip didn't survive the hawk attack, he was dead by the morning after. I wasn't in a rush to get on here and announce that [​IMG] I wish I knew how the hawk damaged him, the hawk was huge compared to him so I guess even if all he did was sit on the rooster that would have been enough to break a bone.

I'm extremely bummed out but I guess there isn't anything to do besides get a new rooster

7. ChickenChaser9

Feb 3, 2016
    I am very sorry to hear that. Hawks are very good at breaking bones especially young and or smaller birds. If you need ideas for how to predator proof your chicken area there are alot of good ideas on the predator section of this forum. Hopefully you find the solution that will best got your needs. Best wishes.

8. melishkia

May 26, 2016
    Thank you, the funny thing is I have seen a hawk now and then but ever since I introduced this little rooster to the flock I would see a hawk almost every week which is abnormal for us. I almost think it was destined to happen this way because on more than one occasion I have found a hawk sitting on the fence line watching the little rooster and we would happen to walk outside just in time to scare off the hawk. I wonder if its because he was white and small so he was easy to see? I've just never had a hawk problem before. My next rooster will not be white and I'm thinking i'll get an adult.

9. ChickenChaser9

Feb 3, 2016
    Size and color are a factor just as much is opportunity. Obviously larger birds are harder for a hawk to take. Vigilance and careful selection of your next rooster will have alot to do with wheither our not this hawk comes back again. Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by