Attacked by a red tail!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rooroo 22, Aug 4, 2013.

1. rooroo 22

rooroo 22 New Egg

Jul 6, 2013
    Scranton Pennsylvania
    my Banty roo was attacked by a red tail but was caught in the act and flew away.... He huddled in the corner of the barn after running back in... Upon inspection I found a clean opening under his wing with his insides hanging out .. My neighbor ran up w a med kit got his insides back in and closed the wound ... Should I put him out of his misery or being nothing was punctured but the skin might this work

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Give your roo time to heal. If he starts eating and drinking on his own, I'd say that his chances of recovery are good. Put neosporin on the punctures.

3. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I'm sorry to hear about your roo.

Just to clarify, by his insides hanging out, do you mean actual organs and/or intestine, or just badly torn flesh?

It's hard to say. Chickens are amazing healers and can surprise you. But if there's major internal damage, that's a different story. Are you able to bring him to an avian vet to have him examined? How is he acting?

4. rooroo 22

rooroo 22 New Egg

Jul 6, 2013
    Scranton Pennsylvania
    Sorry to say but he has passed he was doin good for a whole day I had him drinking and eating he was even walkin around.... There was no blood at all so I'd figure I'd try... Well off to put a netting / roof in my pen up.... Guineas r worth the noise ill tell ya that tho..

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sorry you lost him.

6. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I'm sorry to hear that. Hawks are awful. I'm glad you're putting a cover on your run now.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by