Attacked by gang of roving RIRs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Beau coop, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Help! I have 3 rir pullets who are pulling the feathers out of my number one hen, an OEGB. Number one does not appear sick, or injured to me in any way. Why would they turn on her?

She is now the last one to eat too. Recently, with in a few weeks, her sister died. Is she lonely and now "depressed"? I sprayed her with better bitters to try to keep them from pulling all of her tail feathers out(it says its for birds- can you poison a bird with these type of products)?

I know periodically they will try to rearrange the pecking order, but to gang up on her?

Does any one have any ideas? [​IMG]

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes feather eating can indicate a lack of protein in their diet what are you feeding them?

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If she lost her friend, perhaps her friend was the top and she was second, and now the tides have turned?

4. Beau coop

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    I am feeding them layer pellets.

I have read about bored being a cause of feather picking also. True, they are not out all day like they used to be during the summer. Does any one know where to get those "flock blocks" that are supposed to satisfy their need to peck?

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds like the pecking order is altered. Does your setup have barrier where your little one can avoid eye contact and can run from the others? Are you feeding in more than one spot? Can she get to water without being bullied? This should resolve quickly or you may have to rehouse her. Is there a reason they're not out so much? Boredom may be a factor.
    Flock blocks are sold at co-ops, TSC, feed shops and you can also use wild bird suet available at hardware and bird stores.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  6. Beau coop

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    They are not out as much as I am back to work (school started, nurse here) and I don't want to let them range when I am not there. I am too worried about what will come out of our woods predator wise. They do have a run that is 8 x 10 for the 4 of them. I will put an extra waterer in there when I get home this afternoon. I have a tsc near me, but I have only seen the horse blocks not the poultry ones. I will go look again. If I can't find one I will get a few suets to put in there. I know some posters say the fat content is too high in suet cakes but right now...

Also to complicate this matter further, I have to get this resolved soon. I have some 3-6 week old d'uccles that I need to integrate soon. Or would it be best to start integration now while things are shook (or should I say chook [​IMG]) up?

7. pmitch10

pmitch10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    NH
    Purina has a flock block.....you can check out their website and see where a store near you might sell it.

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

It might be worth roofing your run, if you can see your way clear. If the run were predator proof the birds could be out more and might be less agressive...

9. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yeah.. cramped space can cause fights among the birds that are kept there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by